Nitrile / Latex Gloves

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JohnE

Nitrile / Latex Gloves

#1 Post by JohnE » Wed May 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I've been using Bodyguards Blue nitrile gloves bought from my local Motor Factors for ages, but they tear so easily I generally end up using two pairs at once, which is getting expensive. I like the hand protection and not having filthy nails - has anyone found any more durable ones?

Luxobarge

Re: Nitrile / Latex Gloves

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Wed May 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Yes, I have some excellent fairly durable ones, but I can't tell you where I got them from.

The fact that my wife is a doctor is entirely unconnected with my posession of said latex gloves. ;)

I will make a note of the brand etc. when I'm next in the workshop.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dave3066

#3 Post by Dave3066 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:55 pm

The orange gloves that Edd China sells on his website are excellent. I've been buying them for the past 4 years or so and wouldn't buy any other type. They're extra long and very durable.

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

SirTainleyBarking

#4 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Wed May 07, 2014 7:08 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Yes, I have some excellent fairly durable ones, but I can't tell you where I got them from.

The fact that my wife is a doctor is entirely unconnected with my posession of said latex gloves. ;)

I will make a note of the brand etc. when I'm next in the workshop.

Cheers!
Probably one of the big B2B resellers that I use in work, which is a PITA for anyone who needs the odd pack rather than a box of 10 or 20 packs

Shield industrial is the Brand that I'd recommend if you can find a smaller volume reseller
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

JohnE

#5 Post by JohnE » Wed May 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks all - especially Dave - I'd actually forgotten that I'd wanted some of those gloves I saw Ed China using since I first saw 'em. Ordered a pack.

VFK44

#6 Post by VFK44 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:39 am

Not an answer to your request for more durable gloves, but for light duties I'm a fan of Spontex Vinyl Disposable Gloves. 13p per glove.
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =261875313

Ideal for painting etc., and they feel much nicer than latex gloves. For heavier use just change them more frequently!

sierra3dr

#7 Post by sierra3dr » Thu May 08, 2014 5:18 am

I've gave up on them,for the same reason as you John. I clean my nails out with a nail file,also I don't have a build up of use gloves

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Thu May 08, 2014 8:27 am

I gave up using latex gloves after I realised that they dissolve in Danish Oil (and enamel paint/white spirit) and the benches I had been oiling (in a school science lab) had a white tint to them!

I use vinyl gloves, they are much tougher and don't react with oil and paint as badly. However, I don't know if my fingers are too long, but I usually end up with holes at the ends of the gloves' fingers if I am doing something enthusiastically! That said, I often wear a pair on more than one occasion - they don't always split when I take them off!

The current box came from GSF car parts (I was buying stuff for the Golf and only had a small order, so "bulked" it up a bit. If I'd known I would be buying a DMF, clutch kit, water pump etc for the Golf a month later, I wouldn't have bothered with the small order!

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Thu May 08, 2014 10:38 am

You've hit the nail on the head and reminded me, yes, the "Doctors'" ones I use are indeed vinyl and not actually latex, I find them a lot tougher yet still with good "feel", and they're easier to put on as well, whcih is a bonus.

OP: so, if you haven't tried them already I'd suggest trying some vinyl ones if you can get hold of them.

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

kevin

#10 Post by kevin » Thu May 08, 2014 10:58 am

I buy my gloves from the car paint suppliers shop. They are resistant to thinners and oil etc and are much better generally that the latex type.
I think the last box I bough was about £3! a few weeks back (box of 50)

Kev