Ultra sonic cleaners - Anyone have experience of them?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
89rallye

Ultra sonic cleaners - Anyone have experience of them?

#1 Post by 89rallye » Thu May 01, 2014 2:07 pm

I've got quite a few engines to build up over the next few months and I'm thinking about purchasing an ultrasonic cleaner to aid in cleaning parts (new and used) prior to assembly.

Just wondered if anyone has any experiences if them, I'm looking at a 15l tank which doesn't come cheap but the only problem is there are a lot of Chinese built machines out there and I've read some real horror stories about them and a lot of the Chinese sellers on eBay etc are trying to hide there identities now quoting that they ship from within the uk but actually don't.
Mark.

SirTainleyBarking

Re: Ultra sonic cleaners - Anyone have experience of them?

#2 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm

An ultrasonic thats made well, will do a good job of cleaning hard baked crap out of finely machined metalwork.

The ones I've used in the past in labs were proper spec lab equipment desgined to last for years of abuse 5 days a week. Haven't bought a wun hung lo cheapie of ebay.
Be worth keeping an eye on Aldi. They sometimes do unusual tools on offer
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

kevin

#3 Post by kevin » Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm

Ive got a parts washer tank in my workshop which is ideal for cleaning and degreasing but I have been looking at US cleaners myself. I have a friend who has one and he swears by it for intricate cleaning (carbs, injectors etc)
Looking on youtube, the results on carb bodies are superb.

Kev

jimmyybob

#4 Post by jimmyybob » Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 pm

They are good for cleaning carbs and parts ready for assembly.
Dont expect parts to look like new as they tend to clean away the dirt you can see rather than remove thick baked on crap.

89rallye

#5 Post by 89rallye » Fri May 02, 2014 12:17 am

Funny you should mention aldi because they have one in at the moment reduced from £22 to £16, it's only a small basket/tank but ideal for nuts bolts etc

I'm going to go and have a look, just not sure if it's heard sort not. Noticed frost have a similar one for £130 so at £16 I think it's worth a gamble.

I'm basically looking to clean brand new engine parts anyway, cranks engine cases etc (luckily aircooled VW cases are quite small when they are bare bones) prior to assembly.
Mark.

89rallye

#6 Post by 89rallye » Fri May 02, 2014 12:43 am

Aldi,

Reduced to £16 in my local store,

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/s ... c-cleaner/
Mark.

Phil P

#7 Post by Phil P » Fri May 02, 2014 9:19 am

Ultrasonic cleaners are brilliant. I worked as a Senior Design Engineer for 20 + years for a company that manufactured them from small £8000 units up to 30 metre long machines used for washing super market baskets and costing up to £350,000.

They all work best with water and a mild caustic based solution. In the small 'desk top' ones we used Fairy Liquid and water at about 30C. If you go too higher temperature on these small ones it can damage the transducers. Usually the bonding that holds them to the bottom of the tank fails. The better US cleaners work at 30K Hz to 40K Hz. The cleaning effect is caused by cavitation. The minute bubbles burst against the surface with a force of 10,000 psi and it is that scrubbing effect that removes the soiling. Below 30K Hz the cleaning isn't so good and you are getting into audible range and they aren't very kind to your hearing. We often found when we fired them up that the tanks would scream as they destressed from the welding. Stainless steel tank fabrication. We once hit 140 dB. That hurt!! The trick was to chuck a lump of wood into the tank and that soaked up the agitation until the tank had fully destressed. Another thing pets don't like US cleaners particularly dogs. So keep Fido away from where you are cleaning!

On the small units the ones with a plastic tank aren't that good as the plastic absorbs the US effect. DON'T use solvents in US tanks. One companies advert says you can wash waterproof digital watches in them. We tried it and the watch never went again! Don't put electronic bits in them either. The ultrasonic agitation can damage some components. For engine parts they are very good but get the heavy grease of first because the thick oil and grease again absorbs the agitation.

I must have a look in Aldi but £16 is a bit cheap to me.

kevin

#8 Post by kevin » Fri May 02, 2014 9:22 am

im gonna ask a really daft question here so forgive me and be gentle.
Can they be used to clean spark plugs?

Kev

Phil P

#9 Post by Phil P » Fri May 02, 2014 12:33 pm

They can but if if there is a crack in the ceramic it will open it up. DON'T stick the wife's gem stones or pearls in an ultrasonic tank because they are built up as laminations and the 'sonics will shatter them. Ultrasonics are used to clean serious skin burns because it is actually quite gentle. The folks we bought our equipment from had supplied baths for hospital burns units. It's great for shifting the crud from under your finger nails.

Use spark plug shot blast units to clean plugs off.

SirTainleyBarking

#10 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Fri May 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Phil P wrote:Ultrasonic cleaners are brilliant. I worked as a Senior Design Engineer for 20 + years for a company that manufactured them from small £8000 units up to 30 metre long machines used for washing super market baskets and costing up to £350,000.

They all work best with water and a mild caustic based solution. In the small 'desk top' ones we used Fairy Liquid and water at about 30C. If you go too higher temperature on these small ones it can damage the transducers. Usually the bonding that holds them to the bottom of the tank fails. The better US cleaners work at 30K Hz to 40K Hz. The cleaning effect is caused by cavitation. The minute bubbles burst against the surface with a force of 10,000 psi and it is that scrubbing effect that removes the soiling. Below 30K Hz the cleaning isn't so good and you are getting into audible range and they aren't very kind to your hearing. We often found when we fired them up that the tanks would scream as they destressed from the welding. Stainless steel tank fabrication. We once hit 140 dB. That hurt!! The trick was to chuck a lump of wood into the tank and that soaked up the agitation until the tank had fully destressed. Another thing pets don't like US cleaners particularly dogs. So keep Fido away from where you are cleaning!

On the small units the ones with a plastic tank aren't that good as the plastic absorbs the US effect. DON'T use solvents in US tanks. One companies advert says you can wash waterproof digital watches in them. We tried it and the watch never went again! Don't put electronic bits in them either. The ultrasonic agitation can damage some components. For engine parts they are very good but get the heavy grease of first because the thick oil and grease again absorbs the agitation.

I must have a look in Aldi but £16 is a bit cheap to me.
My company sells a bunch of cleaning products, some of which work well in Ultrasonics (although not specifically designed for them)
If you are going the washing up liquid route , you don't need much at all. To ginger it up put a tablespoon of washing soda in there to give it a bit of bite.
You can get bags of washing soda from Tesco for a couple of quid for a kilo bag.
Harmless to alloy. If you are cleaning alloy DO NOT use caustic soda. With the extra power of the US you'll dissolve it
The lab sized ones I used to use for dissolving stuff, and degassing liquids would set your set your teeth firmly on edge
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner