For the love of cars.

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: For the love of cars.

#41 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Well either they were a different set of similar cars :x or Coys' figures were wrong, but these prices didn't agree with the results I linked to above - directly from the auction site! Disappointing as I thought we'd found a car show without the added bs. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

DoloMIGHTY

#42 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:37 pm

I think I seem to have missed something fundamental with this show (I think), in that it seemed each car featured was owned and purchased by Philip Glenister himself - well that's how it appeared in the final show, where we saw a short synopsis of each car before the auction where we were seeing him saying "is that MY Mini?" and how he chose the colour for the MG? It was also eluded too with the sale of the DeLorean as it was his choice whether to withdraw it for the cash offer from the auction or not.

Anyone else notice this or has it been an obvious feature of the show from the outset and Mr Thick here had not taken it onboard?
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

jpsh120

#43 Post by jpsh120 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:49 am

I think the figures on COY's website include fees & taxes, which the hammer prices don't, I could be wrong but that was my assumption.

As for PG calling them all his, I think that was just his way of connecting with them. The show was hosted by him so probably why he had the ultimate decision over the Delorean.

Again, I could be wrong!

I didn't like the complete injustice of people turning up with carrier bags full of cash and bidding on all the cars, so unfair :roll:
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

JPB

#44 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 am

jpsh120 wrote:I think the figures on COY's website include fees & taxes, which the hammer prices don't, I could be wrong but that was my assumption.
That could explain it! :thumbs:
jpsh120 wrote:As for PG calling them all his, I think that was just his way of connecting with them. The show was hosted by him so probably why he had the ultimate decision over the Delorean.
Maybe it was all his money? He can't be short of the odd Yoyo after the millions he supposedly earned from LOM, A2A and that brilliant show whose name escapes me for the now, where he played that spooky bloke who hunted down mischievous members of the undead community and whooped their arses but then at the end we discovered that in fact he was a vampire or some form of half life himself. It also featured Victor Meldrew as a zombie priest. :idea: Demons, that was it.
jpsh120 wrote:Again, I could be wrong!
I didn't like the complete injustice of people turning up with carrier bags full of cash and bidding on all the cars, so unfair :roll:
Yeah, I must admit that the posh couple who turned up with the large carrier bag did upset me a little. I mean to say; all that breeding, all that class and they couldn't between them come up with some decent luggage! I was quite pleased when they were knocked back and had to go through the same channels as everyone else.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Richard Moss

#45 Post by Richard Moss » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:28 am

JPB wrote:Yeah, I must admit that the posh couple who turned up with the large carrier bag did upset me a little. I mean to say; all that breeding, all that class and they couldn't between them come up with some decent luggage! I was quite pleased when they were knocked back and had to go through the same channels as everyone else.
To be fair, it did look like a Harrods carrier bag.

There was something unpleasantly smug about them - especially the older chap. We laughed out loud when the DMC12 exceeded their cash offer (not forgetting the auction house premium on top). :)

JPB

#46 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:33 pm

This is back on again from tomorrow, 8pm, Channel 4. First car to be dealt with on the show is an Aston Martin that was allegedly used in a Bond film but was that not stolen from a Texan collector and never found? We’ll see I suppose. :)
J

JPB

#47 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:35 am

Tonight's episode features an ex-Police SD1 as the subject and the Liver Run is being recreated - using a Daimler SP250 instead of the Rover.
8-)
J

zipgun

#48 Post by zipgun » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm

SD1 cop car was good , and found a good home :thumbs:

TerryG

#49 Post by TerryG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:41 pm

I hate to think how much they spent restoring it but it looked really good when it was done.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

SEE YA

#50 Post by SEE YA » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:01 am

Yes time money and many people to help on the cars in a nice warm garage.

In the the real world, a one man band no fitted garage or major tools saving up to buy parts and tools.

Many highs and lows, on a project some get done others do not with many people.

My wife and I near the end on our project, since 2006 on a driveway in the cold wet, wind and rain.

We will get it done.
Last edited by SEE YA on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE