How often have you left a tool on the roof and driven off?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TerryG

How often have you left a tool on the roof and driven off?

#1 Post by TerryG » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:27 pm

I got a free mole grip and Stanley pz screwdriver this morning, they are freshly scuffed so I know they came off a car driving down the road rather than someone trying to break in. I love free tools, it helps to make up for the number of sockets I have dropped under the bonnet only for them never to re-emerge.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

MG Mal

Re: How often have you left a tool on the roof and driven of

#2 Post by MG Mal » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Only once..............

He didn't do it again! ;)

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Once, when working for Strathclyde region in the '90s and staying on the seventh floor of a rather upmarket scheme that was used by the region to house its temporary staff. It was the roof of one of my kitten estates and the stool was left on there by the Yorkie belonging to the woman whose balcony was directly above the car's parking spot, the lazy twunt couldn't be bothered to exercise the thing so when the poor animal needed to "go" she held it over the edge of the balcony and nature did the rest.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 pm

i left my first nokia phone on the bonnet of my maestro van & then went off to collect materials, whe the van reached 45mph i saw something fly off so i stopped & picked all the bits of my phone up reassembled it & rang mother to see if it still worked, which surprisingly it did!! :lol:

Mitsuru

#5 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Rich try 70 mph and the phone was a nokia 5210 rubberised one which was a builders special :lol: and it did survive :shock:
I stopped went back to roughly the right spot and got the friend with me to ring it as it had bounced off the road
into the grass verge.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:56 am

mine was the 5110?? normal job.. it was in bits all over the road :lol:

Phil P

#7 Post by Phil P » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:52 pm

No tools but I did leave my case full of paperwork and a calculator on the roof and drove off. It stayed on long enough to get on the motorway. I remembered at the same time as it slid off the roof, down the rear window and then off the boot lid. I saw it go and land in the middle lane. It was still closed. I stopped on the hard shoulder and ran back to retrieve it. The motorway was quiet so no problem I thought. I was just about to run out and get it but I could see a truck in the inside lane a few hundred yards away so I waited. He spotted me and then my case so with a blast on his air horn he changed lanes and ran over my case. It exploded into bit's with papers and things being scattered everywhere! What a bastard!!! I picked up what I could, basically nothing, the rest was shredded or scattered across the motorway. My own fault but what an utter utter bastard!! I hope he discovers his wife is on the game and his daughter gets put up the duff by some bloke with a dose of the clap who disapears! What a bastard!! :evil:

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:23 pm

:| He took a stupid risk doing that. However, I believe that I have come up with a way by which you can exact a terrible revenge upon this shight of the road!
Get yourself a similar case and fill it with something massively explosive, then return to the same spot at a similar time of the day and hoping that he's local and not a passing tramper, lob the case into the same spot from the safety of the shoulder. Then, when you see him coming, feign intent and convince him that you're going to run out and grab the case. Then run like buggery and wait for the bang. That should sort him. :mrgreen:
I did similar, but to a R/C car that some young imbecile was "driving" along the A189 from the back seat of its parents' car. The look on the wee twunt's face as one of my wheels squashed its toy was joyful to behold! :twisted: Driving parent tried to slow me down with his car to prevent my getting away with this favour to every legitimate user of the county's most effective arterial route but unfortunately, he was driving a Citroen LN and I was in one of Dad's Bedford TKs, doing the old man a favour during a trip back home. The guy accelerated away long before I was close enough to twat him but I have to say that the sensation of that R/C car being flattened under one of the Bedford's tyres was most satisfying. I've been looking for a similar chance to flatten something ever since but that was in 1983 so the urge is starting to fade a little.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Ian

#9 Post by Ian » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:18 pm

My late Father was on standby in the ambulance years ago when a bloke drove by with a camera on his roof, the camera fell into the verge so my Dad handed it in to the police but a few years later they gave it to him, he became the proud owner of a Canon AE1 program free of charge!
Strive for perfection in everything you do

Phil P

#10 Post by Phil P » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am

Did anybody see the picture that appeared on Google Street View. It was on U Tube for a while. The guy taking the photographs must have have adjusted the camera using a pair of pliers and then left them in front of the camera. There was a series of pics on the site showing houses in a street with what appeared to be a monster pair of red handled pliers hovering over them.

My old boss was driving along one day when he spotted a card board box lying in the road. So he drove over it. The car basically took off because the box was full of 6" square ceramic tiles! The box had strapping round it so it hadn't burst open. It did after he hit it. He said he had never had such a fright.

A Bedford TK. Quite a nice truck to drive in it's day. I drove one with the Bedford 330 engine in it. A bit noisey when it was idling but quietened down once it was working.