How often have you left a tool on the roof and driven off?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: How often have you left a tool on the roof and driven off?

#11 Post by JPB » Sat May 28, 2016 11:39 pm

i thought it might be worth digging this thread up as we have loads of members who weren't here when Terry started it.
That, and because of the fact that I found a box of scissor/pliers and forceps in the beach car park yesterday, all expensive Orvis ones, all in as new condition. I chalked the find up on the list of found stuff on the notice wall in case someone needs their gear back, fingers are crossed that they will be long gone by now..
:twisted:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#12 Post by rich. » Sun May 29, 2016 7:44 am

ahhhh thats where i left them ;)

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Sun May 29, 2016 8:13 am

:lol: OK, tell me how many pair of forceps and how many pair of scissor/pliers there were, what sizes of each were present and what does the case look like? Answer correctly and I'll have them biked across to that France sharpish.
:P

One more thing, and this is purely to satisfy my morbid curiosity: Why was there congealed blood in the jaws of more than one of the tools?
:o
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#14 Post by rich. » Sun May 29, 2016 8:21 am

hmm short term memory loss isnt helping.. as for the blood, someone was rude about a micra ;)

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Sun May 29, 2016 8:35 am

:shock: 'nuff said! No judge in the land would convict in that situation. Meanwhile, I found a video that shows a car with a massive tool on the roof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou-xhRggtyg

:shock:
J

rich.

#16 Post by rich. » Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm

where i used to live it was rural with passing places in the lanes.. some lads i knew were out & wouldn't back up to let a man in a van pass by so turned up the stereo & started a disco in the lane.. he got the shotgun out let off a few shots & they soon got out of the way :D

JPB

#17 Post by JPB » Sun May 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Yay! I want to live where that can happen. :lol:
J

megadethmaniac

#18 Post by megadethmaniac » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:51 pm

I found a snap on ratchet on the gearbox of my Fiat Uno.

I had just completed a Essex - Wooton Bassett - Bournemouth - Essex trip and the car had gone in for service and the replacement of a stud on the head previously.

What are the chances of that? Must have done all that, Essex- WB / Bournemouth -Essex at motorway speeds, and with the WB-Bournemouth being a x country thrash, with the ratchet in situ.

JPB

#19 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:59 pm

I too found something in a Fiat Uno :shock: , a then two year old A reg (08/1983-07/1984) 55L model that I bought cheaply as an uninsured loss after it was involved in a multiple pile up. The car was measured up and found to be dead true, so it was refreshed with new bonnet, front wings, tailgate, one rear door, one D post and a damned good clean as the interior was a proper toilet. I bottomed the car at work because that interior was so bad and last of all, after making the filthy seats and mats look new again, opened the ashtray to remove that for a good dicht in the parts bath. Inside, the ashtray was already clean, maybe because the owner hadn't filled the floor so wouldn't have needed the ashtray yet, but in there was an eighth of solid with the slightest hint of use at one edge. Then I did one of the following two things, you need to make up your own mind regarding which is the real version of what happened next:

1) I called the Police and reported the discovery so that justice could be done..
or 2) We closed the workshop and took a half day..

:|

I wish I'd kept that car, it drove beautifully, used very little petrol and was really comfortable once I'd become used to the fact that the gear lever was so heavily centre weighted that no matter which gear was selected, the damned lever would return to the same position each time.
J

megadethmaniac

#20 Post by megadethmaniac » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:19 pm

Naturally you called the old bill lol.

Uno 60s Eleganza (so then same engine as the 55) 1116 cc of Lampredi design. G26 OAA Long since crushed daresay..., sills were starting to rot at 3 spot welds at 8 years old. More fun than you could have shaken a stick at!