MGF's or whatever they are

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
zipgun

MGF's or whatever they are

#1 Post by zipgun » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Don't lets get on the "classic or not "with these cars , i really couldn't care less. But why are these cars sooooo unpopular ? I quite like their looks, maybe not as pretty as an MX5 , but anyways, why ,when it does look such a bargain ,(£370 FFS !) hasn't someone snapped this up ?? Is it just time of year and everyone's skint? Fear of head gasket failure , hidden rust, or as my Mot guy said "its just 2 metro's !"? Are MG ROVER bits no longer available? http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... nt-deliver Blimey those seats must be worth a bit on their own ? I might add , the advert is nowt to do with me, but its not far away and i'm tempted to go overdraft :oops:

kevin

Re: MGF's or whatever they are

#2 Post by kevin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:44 pm

I think its the rumours of head gasket problems, rumours of unreliability and poor handling for a sports car that puts people off. ive never owned or driven one but they are a nice looking motor. Last year when I was looking for a cheap soft top for sunny days(lol @ that one) I did look online at a few plus read a lot about them and the HG always cropped up. Im told upgraded gaskets are available.
I went for an early eunos in the end which I love..(my son loves it too)

Kev

Grease Monkey

#3 Post by Grease Monkey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 pm

Brilliant little cars, great fun, we've had our '97 MGF for 4 years now, no head gasket problems, 124k on the clock, a much underated car.
Cheap as chips, go buy one you'll not be disappointed!!!

John.
1964 Sunbeam Rapier IV
1966 Sunbeam Alpine V GT
1981 Mini City
1983 MG Metro
1997 MGF
2003 MG ZS
2004 MG ZT T

Martin Evans

#4 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:58 pm

From what I have seen, you need feeler gauges for fingers, to get at the engine. When they came out, an elderly and lifelong hillclimber (Called Reg Phillips; anyone who has followed the sport would know of him) bought a standard MGF. He may not have been a Tony Marsh, Ken Wharton or Roy lane but he was no slouch either. I remember his description of the car as "Very fair". I suppose they are just in that phase of not being old enough to be classic but old enough to be tatty. Most cars go through that phase and then pick up (And before the classic car scene took off, many never picked up). Lots of cars have weaknesses, alledged or otherwise, that are forgotten in the light of rose tinted spectacles (When I was young MGCs were regarded as a bit of a joke but they're worth good money now and the handling shortcomings are forgotten). My only reservations, with more modern stuff, is will they be restorable :?: It seems that they are cramming more and more into them and that they are built soley with assembly in mind. I recently saw an advert for a Skoda (I think) and the whole of the roof was glass. I can't see those being available off the shelf in years to come and whereas a good sheet metal worker could replicate a metal part, who could make a new glass roof :?: I suppose you'd just have to make a hood for it and turn it into a 2CV type thing :lol: :!:
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm

I have just been to have a chat with SWMBO about it. She has been complaining that the MK1 focus she has is tired at 140,000 miles.
He may end up with a PM tomorrow asking for some more information.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#6 Post by JPB » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Get in there, Terry! You know it makes sense. :thumbs: What's not to like in a car that has Hydrasag suspension, nice comfy seats and a very reasonable ride height for something with sporting pretensions? If you buy it and get sick of the thing you could always add some length and pretend to be Richard Hammond. :D
I've only ever spent a couple of hours in the company of an MGF and it was really rather good, even though I can't cut hair to save my life I still felt quite at home in the thing. :P

Wow! Look at the condition of that interior. Very tidy indeed. If that were a CVT one it would be in my garden by tomorrow night but it's a manual and that's probably better for the majority of buyers. Why is it so cheap I wonder? More to the point why is it still hanging around? Serious bargain or what. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:30 pm

If he is serious about £350 as it sits then if the other half is up for it, I will PM him and ask if it has an MOT fail sheet or how much he would want for it with a ticket so I can go down, tax it and drive it home.

tractorman

#8 Post by tractorman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Get the thing bought - anyone I know who had one loved them and never had any significant problems with them. OK, they aren't a car I would buy - but sports cars aren't much good for carrying tractor bits, coal or long lengths of timber (safely), but practicality doesn't count if you want something sporty!

I suspect that few would complain if it's story appeared here - not everything here is a classic (whatever that implies), but the stories can still be interesting and, if it's the right price and condition and kept in good order, I dare say that it will be sought after in ten or fifteen years' time! As for parts availability, I think they are still available, though the same question could be asked for many a seventeen year old car - how many early Mondeo or MX5 parts are still available over the Ford or Mazda parts counters?

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:41 pm

She doesn't really want something sporty, just something different and reliable. No need for more than 2 seats and there is always my car and the RR which can be used if the nephews need taking out. Not that the focus isn't reliable, far from it, but 13 years and 140,000 miles are taking their toll. It needs a PAS pump as the steering is getting heavy and the gear linkage cables need replacing plus bits of rust repairing. I have had it for a very long time and it is just at that point where you spend a lot or get something else.
I am a huge believer that the K-Series engine is a superb lump poorly installed. Keeping an eye on coolant levels and an update to the cooling system are all that is required to fix rover's ham-fisted installation method. Plus I suspect I will be allowed to take it for a thrash around the back roads ;)

kevin

#10 Post by kevin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:54 pm

At the price get it bought!

Kev