fuel catalyst

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
robo0121

fuel catalyst

#1 Post by robo0121 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:39 am

Hi.whats your opinion on these fuel catalysts that just drop into the tank allowing the use of unleaded.??
Are they worth using.? are they worth buying.?? general thoughts please

rich.

Re: fuel catalyst

#2 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 am

i used castrol valve master... those fuel pellets are just a con...

MG Mal

#3 Post by MG Mal » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 am

I think the matching description is "Snake Oil" ;)

Waste of money and a long running con.

Mal.

rich.

#4 Post by rich. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

if you are interested i have a stock of magic beans for sale :lol: :lol:

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Yes, total snake oil and the pellets aren't even heavy enough to sink a baited hook, ergo they have no practical purpose.
If this is about your SV, spend the money on having the block machined and exhaust valve seats fitted to it but in the mean time just run it as is and keep a close eye on the clearances.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#6 Post by mach1rob » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:22 pm

I have some I will sell you for just £15, they even come in a nice net that had some washing tabs in the missus bought. They may still be washing tabs, but think of the added detergent to clean the engine internals too! :lol: :lol:

I case you hadn't guessed yet, you're better off just throwing used £20s in the tank, they'll work just as well!

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 pm

mach1rob wrote:.....you're better off just throwing used £20s in the tank, they'll work just as well!
Possibly even better, at least there's an outside chance that the strips from said notes would wrap themselves around the seats and protect them from the dreaded VSR. :lol:

J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

robo0121

#8 Post by robo0121 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Is that a no then..haha .wkd answers.i loved em.thanks lads :thumbs:

UKJeeper

#9 Post by UKJeeper » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 pm

mach1rob wrote:you're better off just throwing used £20s in the tank, they'll work just as well!

I drive a Jeep, I already throw handfuls of £20's in the 'kin tank... :roll:

Martin Evans

#10 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 pm

I think it's best to make the vehicle able to use the fuel as it comes. The lead free petrol issue is old history now and ethanol is the new problem. Fortunately both my MGs have stainless steel tanks (Sold at a time when ethanol hadn't been heard of; it's just that they are hung under the back of the car and prone to rust) and fuel lines can be changed but what about the carbs :?: I wonder could the carb bodies and float bowls be plated with an ethanol resistant material :?:

I have suggested to the FBHVC, that Avgas could be the answer. In my hillclimbing days, some of the racing cars used Avgas (I don't think Avgas is being blended with ethanol). Thinking ahead, if the demand for petrol is reduced, by electric cars, there won't be enough classic cars to create a demand for petrol. Just think of 4 star; it is still legal (Up to 1% of sales I think; correct me if I'm wrong) but there just isn't enough demand for it and very few places supply it. My reasoning is that I don't think piston engined aeroplanes will ever be electrically powered, so there will be a demand for Avgas and we may be able to latch on to that :idea: :?:
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.