the right project ??

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
andypandy

Re: the right project ??

#51 Post by andypandy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:38 pm

JPB wrote:
andypandy wrote:...my daily is a 09 plate kia cee'd....
Aren't the prices reasonable eh? :lol:
ha ha very funny lol i picked mine up for £9000 with 22000miles on the clock at a year old very reasonable id say :D

andypandy

#52 Post by andypandy » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 pm

TerryG wrote:Not as reasonable as the new Astra apparently ;)
iv just looked on website £13000 for a 1.4i not bad but the GTC looks better but at £25000 they can keep it a bit longer lol

JPB

#53 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:38 am

andypandy wrote:£25000
:shock: How effin' much? For an Astra? Noooooooooooo..... :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#54 Post by TerryG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:40 am

You could get a REALLY nice 2002 for £25,000 with enough change to buy the insurance and a few years worth of fuel plus get that 1998 one on the road and have both.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#55 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 am

Ten very solid Morris Minors could also be purchased for a similar sum. Hmm, Astra or Minors, Minors or Astra? Tough call but. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#56 Post by rich. » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:12 pm

how much is that in micras then?

TerryG

#57 Post by TerryG » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:58 pm

25,000 ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

exchange rates....

#58 Post by JPB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 pm

Today, €1 is worth around £0.84 but I couldn't find the Morris Minor - Datsun Micra exchange rates anywhere when I looked. :?
J

andypandy

#59 Post by andypandy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:40 pm

lol i wont be buying any of them anytime soon. im just keeping my eyes open for a moggy. theres one about 40miles away from me on flebay but it need loads and loads of work the guy said if its not gone by the end of today hes going to break it but i dont no what he hes going to get as theres not a straght or rust free panel on it and engine dont even go. its a shame but i think im going to hold out and try and get one that needs a little less work for a little more money :D

tractorman

#60 Post by tractorman » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I would agree that it's worth spending a little more and buying something that takes a lot less work. It isn't just the work, it's the cost of the parts and materials that will spoil the fun. A reasonable car is still a money pit (simple things like carpets and bots of trim all add up), a rusting hulk is only a doner - unless it is something particularly rare.

I was looking at a series 2 Minor on the bay, about 20 miles away and not a daft price (so far). Then I looked at things that were missing or wrong (apart from the 948 engine and remote-change gearbox) and the car began to look expensive. I'm watching a S2 Vogue at the moment in the hope that collection (120 miles away) won't break the bank! The Vogue needs some work, mainly dashboard and interior, but it's reasonably cheap (at the moment) which means that I can afford the work and might (due to location) be able to make a profit if I have to sell it rather than a massive loss (which is the case for the two tractors). The seller seems reasonable too - sent specific photos when I asked and sounded genuine enough to be trusted. Mind you, I'm not sure they haven't got a cousin in Nigeria who wants to exchange some money!!

Be patient, the right car will find you - just like a dog or cat does!