Car SOS

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Phil P

Re: Car SOS

#241 Post by Phil P » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't know. E mail Renegade/ Nat Geo and ask. It might be nice. I recorded all the episodes on Sky. How sad is that. :oops:

We didn't have any out takes ie things breaking or being dropped because they were left in!!

I was guessing about the WD. I thought it meant War Department but that was on the History Channel or whether it should have 40 after it. Doh!

Phil

Fred J

#242 Post by Fred J » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:55 pm

I enjoyed the programme. Much better than all this reality crap and soaps on TV.

Yeah they were not perfect and no doubt many would do something's differently but it's TV and it has to appeal to more than us grease monkeys. And they did show that they are human and can cock it up like us too.

But all things aside I would say its the best classic resto show so far.

Give us more and it will get better as it develops.

All in all the boys did well
Last edited by Fred J on Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JPB

#243 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:12 pm

Well said, Fred. If it weren't for the fact that SOS has so far (hint hint, pretty please with knobs on may we...) dealt only with cars and the one small agricultural vehicle, I'd view it as a latter day interpretation of the much-missed Salvage Squad although even that did occasionally fiddle with reality in order to fit the available time. But we didn't seem to mind because it had one unique redeeming feature: Claire Barratt. Mmm, lovely Claire.

(That wasn't speculation, I collared Thurston at the NEC show in 2003 and asked him directly! Being a thoroughly good bloke he 'fessed up without hesitation to the very occasional use of televisual kidology).
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

uk_dave&gill

#244 Post by uk_dave&gill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Plus Salvage Squad had a presenter, in the shape of Suggs, who managed to combine the enthusiasm of a non-mechanic amateur willing to learn with a presenting style that wasn't irritating!

JPB

#245 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeah, good old Suggs, he seemed to take a genuine interest in the projects and when he went to interview the people who had been involved in using the machine when it was still working, well that was often genuinely moving just as the handovers of the cars and the one agricultural vehicle on SOS. But what was the name of the Salvage Squad presenter before Suggs got the gig? I can picture him but can't think of his name. :? Lee something, isn't it?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#246 Post by TerryG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Lee Hurst. Coincidentally I found most of the salvage squad episodes on YouTube last week so watched my way through them all.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#247 Post by JPB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Ooh, must download those. That way, I can watch Claire working up a sweat any time I like! :oops:
J

Phil P

#248 Post by Phil P » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm

I don't remember the 'small agricultural vehicle' you don't mean the Kubelwagen hard top do you? I only got involved when we did the prototype Land Rover. Now there was a full circle. The first Landrover was based on a Willys jeep hence the same track and 80" wheelbase Ford made the Willys MB under license called the Ford GPW (General Purpose Willys) and Ford once owned Landrover. Landrover was part of Austin Rover Group. The Wills jeep designed started off as a Bantam Car Company design and Bantam assembled Austin cars under license. In human terms that is as close to insest as you can get! Or is it just in my twisted mind. :lol:

Suggs is good on that programme. He does like driving in his car even though it's not a Jaguar. I think it must be a Nissan because it came from a factory on the Tyne. My memory isn't so good. :?

Phil

Oldcarnut

#249 Post by Oldcarnut » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:04 pm

wasn't it a land rover freelander suggs had?

TerryG

#250 Post by TerryG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 pm

He had 2 different Freelander's depending on which episode you watch and all the vehicles driven by the team were landies. Makes you wonder who sponsored the series ;)
How about Mark Evans (of "is born" fame). He is great at explaining things in English and making tedious jobs look interesting.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.