chassis tilter

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
orange73

Re: chassis tilter

#11 Post by orange73 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:48 am

another try with the pictures,a picture without the link to make it easier to read...........fingers crossed :D

ah.....it worked ;) .......need to learn how to resize but its a start

first picture is with the tilter in the start position,it will be lower than this when fitted to the car,just proped up for the photo

second picture with the tilter in the rolled position,supported with axle stands :D

JPB

#12 Post by JPB » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:28 pm

That thing's so simple it's brilliant! I'd been expecting some sort of spit with huge end pivots to hold it all together, yours is a much more elegant solution for sure.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#13 Post by Grumpy Northener » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 pm

That thing's so simple it's brilliant! I'd been expecting some sort of spit with huge end pivots to hold it all together, yours is a much more elegant solution for sure.
John - I cannot disagree with you but it all depends on what on you are doing with the car - Organge's tiliter is fine if you can leave the axles on the car - in my case where I have full restoration on the go - requires something a little different
IMGP4775.JPG
IMGP4775.JPG (69.47 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
- Chris
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

orange73

#14 Post by orange73 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:53 am

great picture chris,we now have the two options,mines called "basic car roller" and is the less expensive version £429 inc vat delivered,the down side as chris has already mentioned is it mounts on the hubs which might restrict access to the underside,i plan to do one side at a time so i think i will be ok,the plus side for me is i can tilt with the car fully assembled (less fluids) i dont have much storage room so its going to be one bit at a time
chris,ive been reading your resto post,very interesting and thanks for sharing with us......keep up the good work,paul

orange73

#15 Post by orange73 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:22 pm

been playing in the garage today,ive trial fitted the tilter to get a clearer idea of room needed, first picture is the fitting of mounting plate

second picture is with the roller fitted

and third shows how much room i have

fitting the roller has lowered the car by 60mm,which should reduce the room needed to roll,car will need to be move away from the wall a little for me to get the jack under,its going to be tight but i wont be rolling to 90 degrees as can be seen by the angle of the roller

orange73

#16 Post by orange73 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:40 pm

the more i look at my own pictures the more iam thinking i hav`nt enough room :( :( and iam not too sure if i have the mounting plate on the hub the right way round,if i turn it round the upright post of the jig will be closer to the car and will then give me a bit more room ;) and also more weight on the roller than on the wheel studs....i`ll have another play after work tomorrow.

Luxobarge

#17 Post by Luxobarge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Really useful thread this, good stuff for any others considering using one of these.

My opinion? You have enough room in the garage, you just have too much stuff in it.

Not an easy problem to solve though, I grant you!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#18 Post by TerryG » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Maybe that is why a car roller is required. It will take up much less space on it's side so you can put more in the garage! ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

orange73

#19 Post by orange73 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:59 am

ha ha :D .....yes i know too many toys......the plan..theres two motorbikes on the right as you view the garage picture,with my sons homemade go-cart between them,before i roll i will remove all three toys and roll from right to left,and as TERRYG has already stated the car will take up less room on its side than on its wheels,will then put bikes back in and should have enough room to work,C J AUTOS estimate 2.5 metres to roll a car but this will vary from car to car,i have 3.1 metres,not sure when the big day will be as fitting new bathroom at moment :(

Topaz

#20 Post by Topaz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:55 am

orange73 wrote:am not too sure if i have the mounting plate on the hub the right way round,if i turn it round the upright post of the jig will be closer to the car and will then give me a bit more room ;) and also more weight on the roller than on the wheel studs
Not sure - looking at their webpage here http://www.cjautos.eu/product_p/ct01.htm in photos 5 and 7 it looks like you have it correct with the longer arm at the top of the mounting plate on the hub (click on each photo to get an enlargement) but I see what you mean about the room it takes up - it's almost as if the mounting plate on the roller itself isn't in the right place as the examples they show appear to be more upright but yours leans over towards the garage wall - and I can't see a way to alter that.

Good luck with sorting it out - hopefully someone else will come along with a bright idea :D

Mike