chassis tilter

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
orange73

Re: chassis tilter

#21 Post by orange73 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 am

thank you TOPAZ.....yes looks right as it is,angle of the upright is going to put a lot of stress on the wheel studs as i start to roll,will be fine when i get to 40-50 degrees and beyond,also the end of the "rolling arm" under the car looks too far from the floor :? ....will have a closer look this evening after work ;)

orange73

#22 Post by orange73 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:02 am

thought i would have had the car rolled by now :( but iam sure you car nuts know how it is......iam working 47 hour weeks at the moment and trying to fit a new bathroom at weekends,with the weather as it is iam happy to be inside in the warm and the bathroom is nearly finished just paint ,flooring and new door to fit and its finished :) .....had another look at the hub plate and i am now sure i have it on the right way,so next step is to remove the interior as i will be welding new sills and no doubt a few repairs to the floor,thats another problem finding somewhere to store all the removed parts.....might have to see how mumsy is later ;) ....will remove both front doors aswell for two reasons,1, to make the car lighter for the roll and ,2,if i need to get in the car when its rolled this will make it much easier.....will also brace the car before cutting the old sills off possibly using the hinge and catch mounts for the doors ,bracing using some box steel i have left over from another project :)

orange73

#23 Post by orange73 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:02 pm

Wow...cant believe its been that long since I last posted :shock: .......bit embarrassing but I haven't made any progress since taking the pictures.cars on my drive now while I work on my motorbikes, have to get it back in the garage before autumn sets in and make a start......promise ;)

bmw02

#24 Post by bmw02 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Hi all...iam ORANGE73...its been a while since i last posted on here and also a long time since i touched my bmw...Had to open a new account as i cant remember my password and i have also changed my email address...

to the FORUM TEAM...is it possible to retrieve my old user name ? EDIT - Admin, done.

The good news is i have started the restoration of my 02 touring :D ...i will be 59 shortly so had to make a start whilst i still can...Car is on its side on the chassis tilted just about fully stripped and i have stripped one half of the floor of all paint,rust and rust proofing ready to start fabricating/welding...Hopefully THE FORUM TEAM can retrieve my old account and i will pick up the story and post a few pictures...Feels great now i have finally started :thumbs:

orange73

#25 Post by orange73 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:36 am

thanks to LUXOBARGE i now have my old user name, excellent service thank you for your help :thumbs: just need to close my new account and change my email on the new account and i will post a few piccies and update the progress with the chassis tilter

Dick

#26 Post by Dick » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:26 pm

Welcome back. Hoping for lots of photos of your resto.. i had a similar problem... it took me month's to finally break back in.... ;)

orange73

#27 Post by orange73 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:37 am

Thank you DICK. Great to be back and finally getting stuck into the restoration...

I`ve just spent 30 mins writing an update and adding a few pictures only to loose the update when i submitted it. not good with all this tech stuff, will try again later...

Dick

#28 Post by Dick » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:52 am

I have similar experience with computers.. i need someone to invent a "where did it go button "

sierra3dr

#29 Post by sierra3dr » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:59 am

Waking up a 8 year old post :D :lol: If you have so much welding to do,best have it on a spit/rotisserie. Of course you'll have to remove the engine/gearbox/fuel tank which is best being flammable. The spit is best for welding downwards as appose to awkward angles.