chassis tilter

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
orange73

chassis tilter

#1 Post by orange73 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

just ordered a chassis tilter from C J AUTOS,anyone used one of these before ?

rich.

Re: chassis tilter

#2 Post by rich. » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:39 am

no, but let us know how it goes, & few pics would be great..

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:05 am

From memory I'm sure at least one person on here has used one of these, hopefully they'll reply eventually...

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

orange73

#4 Post by orange73 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:07 pm

chassis tilter delivered today,ordered yesterday at 1.00pm arrived today at 10.30pm,now that is quick,well done C J AUTOS.will unwrap my early christmas pressent this evening and see if i can post some photos this weekend :D

orange73

#5 Post by orange73 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:33 pm

just unwrapped my new toy....checked over and made sure i had everything,looks good,well made and heavy comes with securing plates for 4 and 5 stud hubs.will assemble at weekend and post a pic,not ready to lift/roll car yet so you will have to wait for that pic :D

Maaarrghk

#6 Post by Maaarrghk » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Happy tilting Orange!

Looking forward to hearing how you get along.

orange73

#7 Post by orange73 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:52 am

Maaarrghk wrote:Happy tilting Orange!

Looking forward to hearing how you get along.

thanks maaarrghk.........lets hope its going to be happy :D ....only bit iam unsure about is the balance point,i can start tilting with my trolley jack which is 2 ton and of good quality with a lift high enough to get a drive on ramp under the wheel,this is not high enough to reach the balance point,so i have a very heavy block and tackle to lift from then on,not sure of my fixing point yet,then of course i dont know what will happen on the other side of the balance point,the frame is flat at this point so it might come to a gentle rest which will be good,as a back up i have a 5 ton clicky strap which will be my safety strap,but could also lower the car with this,will use axle stands to secure after tilting,its going to be a bit tight in the garage during lifting and once on its side i want it as close to the wall as possible to give me plenty of room to work....recomended room for lifting is approx 2.5m i have 3.1 m so should work fine but will have to be careful with my starting point,might take a few attempts,will update with pictures after lifting :D .......if anyone has used one of these before and has any tips on the big lift would be most helpful,

best wishes for the new year......orange 73

SirTainleyBarking

#8 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:57 pm

My only tips would be to follow the instructions on how to use the thing, and to remove the battery and drain anything dribbly out of the vehicle before tipping. You don't want to be sitting in a pool of engine oil, fuel and brake fluid with a garnish of coolant
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

orange73

#9 Post by orange73 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 am

SirTainleyBarking wrote:My only tips would be to follow the instructions on how to use the thing, and to remove the battery and drain anything dribbly out of the vehicle before tipping. You don't want to be sitting in a pool of engine oil, fuel and brake fluid with a garnish of coolant

hi SIRTAINLEYBARKING,good tips thank you,brake and clutch already drained,will drain engine,gear box, diff oil and remove the battery before i tip,i have a fair bit of welding to do , sills,floor and inner wings so will remove the interior as well, no instructions but i do have C J AUTOS phone number if i need it,iam sure it will be ok,i just need to take my time and be carefull
i have a few jobs to do on one of my motorbikes before i start so plenty of thinking time before the big day,if i have a dry day this week i will post some pictures of the tilter :D

orange73

#10 Post by orange73 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:36 am

heres some pictures of my chassis tilter,without car as iam not quite ready to "rock and roll" yet

http://s1130.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... s%20tilter

first two pictures are with the tilter in the "start" position,picture 3 a close up of the hub fitting and the last 2 with the tilter in the rolled position