volvo 850 t5

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
ben wallace

volvo 850 t5

#1 Post by ben wallace » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:38 pm

i was gutted to sell my 89 merc 250d estate but after two aborted attempts to get an mot it was getting unfunny and with a family tow car and shopping car needed i started looking for a classic estate car and was pleasently surprised to see how much volvo i could get for less than a grand .I found a fsh m reg 850 t5 estate with alloys , sunroof and leather on ebay , veiwed it and for £800 it was mine . It short it is resonably economical , roomy , comfortable and stupidly fast i like it a lot . I was surprised to see that they are now included in the classic guide albeit with a different engine size ( mines a 2.3 turbo) . I would surgest to anyone looking for a cheap tow / family car that doesn't require much tinkering (thus leaving more garage time for other things ) a volvo t5 is a very enjoyable workhorse ;)

Luxobarge

Re: volvo 850 t5

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:38 am

Ben,

Couldn't agree with you more - I very much want one of these, specifically a T5 like yours - so if you (or anyone else!) come across a good one, please do let me know eh?

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

ben wallace

#3 Post by ben wallace » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:20 pm

i found mine on ebay . the trick i use is send a message saying if i come and view it would you be open offers?

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm

ben wallace wrote:..... if i come and view it would you be open offers?
Spot on advice, and the genuine buyers are invariably the people who'd do that. It works to both parties' advantage too, since the seller saves the exorbitant final value fee and neither party can be victim to feedback,

Use eBay as the cyberspace equivalent of the postcard in the paper shop window and everyone wins. ;)

A brief glance at the local yellow paper throws up half a dozen, sub-£1000 850s, two of which are T5s so it would appear that there's plenty of choice out there still. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#5 Post by mach1rob » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I avoid selling on evilbay like the plague, too many idiots on there these days to make it worthwhile. I will happily buy off there, and I have to say, every vehicle bar one I've bought off there I've been lucky with, I won a 406 and when I got there it was a wreck, suffering poor repairs to a front ender and the drivers front wheel sitting so far back in the arch it was almost rubbing on the A pillar, needless to say I told the seller it wasn't as described, got in my car and drove home, at least it was only an hour up the road so no great loss.

jimmyybob

#6 Post by jimmyybob » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Did volvo ever upgrade to 'proper' turbos or are they still using the LPT like saab did.??

ben wallace

#7 Post by ben wallace » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Did volvo ever upgrade to 'proper' turbos or are they still using the LPT like saab did.?? Ehh , Yes, 225hp as standard 150mph top speed thats why the police use then

admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by admin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:11 pm

jimmyybob wrote:Did volvo ever upgrade to 'proper' turbos or are they still using the LPT like saab did.??
My Saab's a FPT! :D

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Ben,

Couldn't agree with you more - I very much want one of these, specifically a T5 like yours - so if you (or anyone else!) come across a good one, please do let me know eh?

Cheers! :D
Looked at one today - overall not bad, excellent spec. and very straight with FSH and 136k miles, but a) the engine was quite oily, clearly an oil leak somewhere b) there was a loud graunching clonk from the front O/S uspension over bumps and c) the ABS light stayed on. It was up for £1k, so I'll keep looking I think.

As I say, if anyone sees a good 'un, let me know!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#10 Post by TerryG » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Wasn't the seller prepaired to haggle? It must be worth a punt at £500 for what is probably a couple of bushes and a dirty sensor.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.