Classictyres.com - Hi!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
classictyres

Classictyres.com - Hi!

#1 Post by classictyres » Wed May 16, 2012 10:01 am

Hi,

This is Charlie from classictyres. We are glad to help out with the running of these forums by sponsoring practicallyclassics - I hope you guys don't find the banner to intrusive!

I am happy to answer any tyre queries or provide advice when needed.. if you have any questions contact me through the forum or drop an email to sales@classictyres.com.

I have been reading the forum for a while now, so it will be good to get stuck in with discussions..

As way of introduction.. here is my '71 VW Type 2 daily driver - I promise my affections aren't solely with aircooled Vdubs!

junkyarddog

Re: Classictyres.com - Hi!

#2 Post by junkyarddog » Wed May 16, 2012 5:49 pm

I love your camper,
my dads Aunt and Uncle had a '70,I have many happy childhood memories from that Vehicle :D

Is it a Devon conversion?

arceye

#3 Post by arceye » Wed May 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Nice van, We had one for a bit when I was a kid, I was sat in the extra seat that could be fitted next to the sliding door, minding my own business eating a bag of crisps whilst we were parked up, door open, when my dad decided he was going to turn around.

Landed right on me head in the car park when the seat tipped out :cry:

Might explain a lot though :shock: That and being thrown the length of a Bedford camper only not exiting via the windscreen when my dad caught me by the hair as we had a head on with some Yanks on the wrong side of the road.....No wonder I don't go camping, though that van could tempt me :)

bnicho

#4 Post by bnicho » Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Welcome!

Good to see another air-cooled in daily use. :)

I'd love to have a lowlight myself someday.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

classictyres

#5 Post by classictyres » Thu May 17, 2012 8:45 am

Cheers guys! Ive loved VWs since I was a kid - this is my second camper, I bought my first when I was 18 and spend 6 months travelling Europe in it.. well most of it made it - I had to leave the rear bumper in Spain...

junkyarddog - this one is a Dormobile - you can tell the difference because apart from different interiors, the Dormobile's roof is further forward, and lifts from one side through 90 degrees, whereas the Devon has a pop-top centrally located that lifts straight up usually.

arceye - that sounds like a Dormobile conversion like mine with that extra seat - did it have the same lift up roof as in the picture? I have those extra seats, they store under the bed at the back ready to clip into place when you have a passenger who feels brave enough to try them!

Its good fun driving a classic daily... yesterday I was driving home past a group of school children who all stopped and stared and did the "were not worthy" salute, which is always a good tonic after a days work!

Martin Evans

#6 Post by Martin Evans » Fri May 18, 2012 11:43 am

I was just about to say it was a Dormobile, as the roof was also more curved than the Devon. The Dormobile roof pivoted on one side (Had two skylights if I remember rightly), whereas the Devon went up parallel to the main roof.

My parents had a 411 Moonraker and that would have been in a K plate (It was one of the last with the old bumper that had a step on it). I remember it cost £1900 in early 1972. We went to north Wales in it that Summer and I also remember a trip to Beaulieu in it.

As to tyres, I always go for ones that grip, even if they don't last very well. I don't do a high mileage so my tyres get changed because they are old, not worn out.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

DoloMIGHTY

#7 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Please don't think I am being rude or obstructive etc as it is not my intention, but can I ask as to why this forum needs a sponsor?

I thought it was using a free host? or is it to keep it advert free?
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

rich.

#8 Post by rich. » Fri May 18, 2012 2:19 pm

welcome!
i was a bit surprised by your link first time but it doesnt offend me.... more importantly will you be doing longstone type tyres ads :D :D

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Fri May 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi Dolomighty, we aren't using a free host as they either insert adverts in with the posts or have advertising in the header / footer. As the forum is independent from the magazine there is no funding from Bauer. Following the demise of the forum on PC's own website Neil Campbell formed this site and has been paying for the hosting from his own pocket.
It was decided to look for an appropriate sponsor as the forum is getting larger the running costs were getting higher. We hope that you don't find the banner too intrusive and that you find the services offered by classic tyres useful.

The admin team.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

suffolkpete

#10 Post by suffolkpete » Wed May 23, 2012 11:38 am

A question for you, Charlie. Where can I get 195/70 x 13 rear tyres for my Matra Murena. The car should have 175/70 x 13 on the front and 195/70 x 13 on the rear, but the latter are unobtainable and I'm currently running 185/70 which makes the car a little tail happy and makes an already under-geared car even more so. It has 5.5J steel wheels. PS they're not listed on your web site (or anybody else's).
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6