Bristol going under : (

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Bristol going under : (

#1 Post by mr rusty » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:57 pm

An old name goes under: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-12645501 sadly there no longer appear to be enough rich eccentrics around requiring something a little different.

I've always wanted one of these but never had the money and don't suppose I ever will but for anyone with a huge sack of notes there might still be the odd unsold series 6 on offer ( I wonder if they ever sold any) although I always liked the 412 best. :(
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

MG Mal

Re: Bristol going under : (

#2 Post by MG Mal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:39 pm

It's a crying shame, I too always fancied a Bristol.

But in a way, they kept themselves so far away from the Motoring press, rarely (if ever) allowing full evaluation by a press team etc, that many people I know did'nt even realise Bristol was still going.

One dealership in central london would'nt have helped either, even though it did keep there sales and service rep to a standard that was classed as "More Rolls Royce than Rolls Royce".

Unfortunately for the likes of the gov't, it's not even a blip on there radar, what was it some one once said about selling off /allowing stuff to die off?

Knowing the Price of everything but the not the value?

Is this the last nail in the coffin of completely British Motor Manufacturing? ( and I mean making things not designing them on a damn screen)

suffolkpete

#3 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:54 pm

I've always had a soft spot for Bristol, having been driven to my wedding reception in a 401. They were an anachronism though, and I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have but it's sad to see another great name bite the dust.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Martin Evans

#4 Post by Martin Evans » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:49 am

A sad day but perhaps not entirely surprising. We live in a pretty tasteless, ostentatious society and the Bristol was just too refined. Added to that, unless something is endorsed by magazines, people don't want it (I don't think the vast majority of the public can make up their own minds). If Bristols had been able to throw vast sums at an advertising campaign, this may not have happened; magazines are always happy to endorse the products of big advertisers. Having said that, a TV advert for a Bristol would have been interesting, judging by the abstract nature of most; I can't really see how you get over the message of superb craftsmanship, by driving a car, slowly down a street, where the bystanders all look as if they are out of their minds on drugs :roll: .

As to our politicians, they've let the rest of British industry go to the wall; what's new. Perhaps the Chinese will buy it and rename it Blistol.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

rld14

#5 Post by rld14 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:29 am

What a shame :(
60 PA Velox LHD
62 PA Velox LHD
Vauxhall PA dot com