First Forum Glitch

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
admin
Site Admin

First Forum Glitch

#1 Post by admin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm

DoloMIGHTY! has just informed me that this error appears when attempting to register:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Illegal mix of collations (latin1_bin,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '=' [1267]

Help, any ideas what might be causing it???

TerryG

Re: First Forum Glitch

#2 Post by TerryG » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:13 pm

It means he is trying to register a username with an unsupported character.
if he registers without the "!" on the end it should work perfectly. if you set phpbb only to allow numbers and letters not characters the problem will "go away" or you will need to alter the mysql settings to allow them to be stored in the relevant column.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:52 pm

/\/\/\ Wot 'e said.

It's pretty common for PHPBB fora to work like that, only the ones whose admins have database access can work around this issue. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by admin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Ta for the replies, it's only me that has access to the database so i'll have to learn to mess around a bit with it. I'll have a go over the weekend - thanks for you help, it's a nice friendly forum this, i like it.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:05 pm

I've also PM'd Alan O' DoloMIGHTY! to give him his real name :shock: , at the Dolomite Club forum just in case he hasn't seen this. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

DoloMIGHTY

#6 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 pm

All done! :D

Thanks everyone, I feel part of the family already. :)
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

JPB

Welcome, Mister Glitch.

#7 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Yay! Now that this 'ere forum has its DoloMIGHTY(!) installed successfully and I've discovered that it's possible to have one's avatar at the left :D by selecting subsilver, would it be possible for admin to allow us to add avatars please?

There's a field for this in the user CP, but selecting it doesn't do anything. :cry:
J

Martin Evans

#8 Post by Martin Evans » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:54 pm

I've come across two.

1 - If you click Post reply and are not logged in, you go to the log in page BUT having then logged in, you go to the index page, not the thread to which you wish to reply.

2 - If your post takes up more than the space of the posting box, the site does funny things when you try to type in the bottom of the box. It keeps jumping back to display previous lines. You can keep typing but you can't see what you're typing unless you use the scroll bar to have a look.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

Luxobarge

#9 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 am

Martin Evans wrote:2 - If your post takes up more than the space of the posting box, the site does funny things when you try to type in the bottom of the box. It keeps jumping back to display previous lines. You can keep typing but you can't see what you're typing unless you use the scroll bar to have a look.
I found that - extremely annoying it is too.

I've looked all over the "admin" bit of the forum and can't see any settings that could affect either of these two problems, so if anybody with more knowledge than me knows what to do about it, (such as JPB ;) ) let us know would you! (We're all still learning about managing the forum, see!)

Maybe changing "theme" would work, I haven't tried that yet.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Martin Evans

#10 Post by Martin Evans » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:07 am

If it's post with a lot of text, I usually do it in Word and paste it. This not only provides a spell check but once or twice, I have clicked to post and the something has gone off (Not specifically any forum) and you lose the lot :twisted: . Another way round this, is to highlight the post and copy it before posting, so that if the page doesn't load, you can then paste it back. The only thing you can't do in word is put in Smilies and the things on the toolbar, above the text box, so these go in after the text has been pasted (Maybe there is another way of doing it but I don't know about it).
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.