Australian Classics

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
sierra3dr

Australian Classics

#1 Post by sierra3dr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:41 pm

Just flicking through Australian ebay and looking at their Classics.

Holden Ute,a pickup derived from the Holden HT
Has the characteristics of a MK3 Cortina
A Torana,based on our Viva
Ford Fairmont based on the Ford Granada MK2
1964 EH HOLDEN
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EH-HOLDEN-SE ... 3a73066a04
1962 VALIANT RV1
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1962-VALIANT ... 1e6d1ba633

Oldcarnut

Re: Australian Classics

#2 Post by Oldcarnut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

They look like a mk3 Cortina and mk2 Granada.Bnicho will fill you in soon I'm sure ;)

Oh dear, I didnt read your post :oops:

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Hmm, crude, trap sprung rear suspension on that Granada lookie-not-much-likey. That would never have done the job for Regan & Carter.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

bnicho

#4 Post by bnicho » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:21 am

I'm happy to answer questions on Aussie cars.

The HT Holden was a facelift from the HK and came long before the Mk111 Cortina. The HK, HT, HG series was actually styled in Detriot in the mid-sixties. (My in-laws have a HK they bought when it was 2-3 years old). I can't see any styling cues it shares with the Cortina. It certainly doesn't have the Cortina's Coke-Bottle look.

The first Holden Torana (HB) was a locally produced, rebadged Viva. The LC and LJ series that followed differed significantly from the Viva but retained some of the Viva floorpan and suspension. The pictured LH/LX series cars were completely Australian designed, styled and built. Allegedly not one single component came from overseas and it was the first Aussie car to achieve this. There was a choice of a 1.9L four, several sixes and 4.2L or 5.0L V8 engines that were Aussie designed (althougth the four was quite awful.) The Torana is a firm favourite with the Street Machine scene.

The Ford Fairmont is (was) the luxury version of the Ford Falcon. The first Falcons were a US design which was developed here after the US dropped the model in the late sixties. You can still buy a new model Falcon today. The Fairmont has always used the same shell as the Falcon with better trim and engines. The pictured model (XD) could be ordered witha 4.1 six, a 4.9 V8 or a 5.8L V8 with as much as 300hp. There is a family resemblance because it was designed at roughly the same time as the Granada and Ford were just starting to use that style worldwide. The XD Falcon again was Australian designed and built, although it used V8 engines from the US. It shares no components with any Granada or Cortina. The Cortina was sold here in Mk1 to MkV forms. The MkIII onwards Cortinas could be ordered with a 2Lt pinto, a 3.3L six and later a 4.1L six.

The EH Holden is widely loved in Aus and again uses uniquely Australian compnents and detroit styling. The Valiant was a US-derived model with some styling changes.

The traditional Aussie was of developing a car is to use an overseas design as a base and then develop it in a different direction to the original to suit the Australian market and local content laws. As the overseas model develops one way, the local one develops in another direction, so two cars with the same nameplate can end up completely different. If you park an Aussie 78 Mini next to a UK 78 Mini you could spend all day picking the differences. :)

If you really want to see some weird stuff, look at the BL products like the Leyland P76, the Austin Tasman, the Austin 1800 Ute, Marina six cylinder and the Morris Nomad.

Cheers,
Brett.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

mrtotty

#5 Post by mrtotty » Fri May 25, 2012 9:21 pm

bnicho wrote: If you really want to see some weird stuff, look at the BL products like the Leyland P76, the Austin Tasman, the Austin 1800 Ute, Marina six cylinder and the Morris Nomad.
The P76 wasn't that weird. It was just a large sedan with 2.6 L6 or 4.4 V8 engines. I remember its massive boot (a 44-gallon drum could go inside) and its traditional Down Under transmission options of 3/4-speed manual or 3-speed automatic. The 3-speed manual was a column-shift, the 4-speed a floor-shift and the automatic could be either, though usually column in common with the HQ Holden, XA Falcon and VH Valiant of the day.

As far as the Kingswood or Falcon were concerned, you could have any combinations of options you wanted. It was quite possible to get an extremely basic Belmont sedan with a 253 or 308 V8 or a top-line Premier with the 202 L6 and manual transmission.

I had a neighbour who had a 253-powered Premier with a 3-speed column-change manual. Imagine trying to do something like that in these days of over-specced cars.

bnicho

#6 Post by bnicho » Sun May 27, 2012 11:41 pm

I didn't mean weird in a derogatory way. I meant models that are unfamiliar to the Brits but are from a familiar manufacturer.

I'm a bit of a fan of the P76 although I have never owned one.

My father also had a HG Kingswood 253ci (4.2lt) with three speed column shift in the 70's. The HK Kingswood my in-laws have owned for 35+ years is 186ci (2.8lt) and three speed colum shift.

That Kingswood is actually going to be up for sale soon as they have now retired and no longer need two cars in the household.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder