Be Careful out there....

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Be Careful out there....

#1 Post by mr rusty » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 pm

A sad story from our local rag- http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/e ... ter_crash/.........just because we've got old cars we're not immune, we're probably a lot more at risk of injury than those in the moderns, and reading the comments on the story some twit has already put the cause down to an old car being involved despite knowing nothing about what might have actually happened :roll:

Let's hope the chap gets better, his car may not have survived but luckily he has.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Dave3066

Re: Be Careful out there....

#2 Post by Dave3066 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:58 pm

Sad indeed. Why do people who know nothing about what happened, other than what's been reported on, feel they have to comment? Hope the injured peeps are ok.

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:06 pm

Dave3066 wrote:Sad indeed. Why do people who know nothing about what happened, other than what's been reported on, feel they have to comment? Hope the injured peeps are ok.

Dave
True, but the third comment down seems to be quite a perceptive one!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

#4 Post by mr rusty » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:36 pm

I think commenter number 3 assumes because it was an old car it was therefore slow and being overtaken.... :roll:

It is a deceptively dangerous piece of road, in fact as the article states the 'Road Safety Foundation' whoever they may be, have identified it as 'the most dangerous road in the East of England' and it is indeed dangerous! There's been a few fatals over the years along there due to silly overtakes or people pulling out of side lanes and grossly misjudging the speed of oncoming traffic, the last fatal accident along there was only in the summer when a cyclist was killed along there.

it's one of those roads that just begs you to put the pedal to the metal and unfortunately a lot of people do.
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

Luxobarge

#5 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:39 pm

mr rusty wrote:I think commenter number 3 assumes because it was an old car it was therefore slow and being overtaken.... :roll:
Possibly, but I took it to mean that maybe another driver assumed that because it was old that it would be going slowly, and overtook it even though in fact it wasn't going slowly.... This happens to us all the time in the Morris Minor, even though we might well be going at least as fast as we would in any other car.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

harvey

#6 Post by harvey » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:42 pm

I was scraping up accidents on that particular stretch of road 30/35 years ago, and nothing has changed or improved since. A series of blind bends that tighten up more than you would think, lined with trees that overhang the road, with gradients and dodgy cambers thrown into the mix. Not the place you should even consider overtaking, but when has that ever stopped some people......(That's not to say this was caused by overtaking, could have been any number of things.) Regardless of the cause there's always a tragedy for someone in the aftermath.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

Dave3066

#7 Post by Dave3066 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:00 am

Luxobarge wrote:
mr rusty wrote:I think commenter number 3 assumes because it was an old car it was therefore slow and being overtaken.... :roll:
Possibly, but I took it to mean that maybe another driver assumed that because it was old that it would be going slowly, and overtook it even though in fact it wasn't going slowly.... This happens to us all the time in the Morris Minor, even though we might well be going at least as fast as we would in any other car.
Yep that's how I read it too. Happens to me quite a bit, usually on twisty roads or away from junctions because people are not patient enough to sit behind a car that is pulling away a smidge slower than they are. Then by the time they get alongside you're going faster than they were expecting and are committed to the manoeuvre. I've had people overtake me then slow down, presumably because they don't want to be behind an older car. They get a bit suprised when realise I'm right behind them and itching to get past them :twisted:

Dave
1966 Rover P6 2000 SC - in daily use and running like a dream
1972 Rover P6 3500S currently undergoing surgery
1965 Rover P5 3 litre Coupe - long term project

mr rusty

#8 Post by mr rusty » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:50 pm

Well the latest update is the usual silly kneejerk reaction of the council wanting to buy a speedgun and train the localsto use it...which would no doubt catch the odd person speeding but not do much to prevent the dangerous overtakes that occur along this road.

Double solid white lines and a big sign saying 'X number of people have died on this road since such and such a date.....' might have more of an effect.

Seth

#9 Post by Seth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Just seen this. A committee member of the Borgward club lives in the area and has a red coupe :(