Today I have been ?????????????? to my classic

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Landy Mann

Re: Today I have been ?????????????? to my classic

#31 Post by Landy Mann » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:17 pm

The infamous droparm ball joint, I've done it once before and it was pretty easy to on the vehicle, with a couple of sockets, diy puller and a bottle jack.
http://www.landymann.co.uk

Always check that your not about to reverse over your tool box before moving the car...

200tdi Land Rover Defender CSW http://www.practicallyclassics.co.uk/vi ... =12&t=1801

outdoorjoe

#32 Post by outdoorjoe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 am

Over the weekend I:

1. assesed the new spitfire i have bought and....
2. got the indicators working! (flasher unit had fell off and was sitting on the wiring loom)
3. fixed os rear indicator bulb holder (so corroded there was no earth)
4. removed the rad to be reconditioned, does £120 sound reasonable for this?
5. cleaned up ALL earths and solenoid connection
6. stripped and cleaned up twin carbs

phew now my finger tips hurt, back to work for a rest!

The spitfire is a 1979 inca yellow 1500 no mot or tax but starts runs drives and stops and in reasonable nic, im aiming to have her mot'd and running well by the Bristol classic car show april 14th/15th let work commence or rather continue!

JPB

#33 Post by JPB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:05 pm

£120 isn't too steep for the recore these days, but why not just buy a completely split new one for less than that? ;)

James Paddock, once their site is back up in its rewritten form, would be first place I'd try, though there's nothing preventing your phoning. Then Canley Classics, TD Fitchett and Win International are also worth a look. Fisters can't be recommended at this time though. :evil:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

outdoorjoe

#34 Post by outdoorjoe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah interesting you say these days, I have just dropped it off at arrow radiators local to me in avonmouth and he said 'we dont get much call for this these days' he knew the rad before id said what it was from and even guessed the year within a year!

re buying a new one i did look into this at rimmer bros and moss europe but they were £165 ish and i do like to retain / reuse parts where possible just my classic owner ethic i spose. Also its good to use local companies where possible although a new rad for the spit is readily avaialble id imagine a new one for say a austin atlantic or delorean might not be so readily available and these local companies wouldnt be there if we all stopped using them!

Ill try get some pics on the owners section when the weathers ok!

Joe

TerryG

#35 Post by TerryG » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Since coming in from work i have finished stripping down a new rear door for my range (in the kitchen as the gf is at her mothers!), one to go and arranged for a friend of a friend to come over next week and quote for spraying them the correct colour.
I have also mopped the floor to cover up the amount of rust that landed on it (the window frame is rotten).
It's a good job she doesn't read this forum!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

SEE YA

#36 Post by SEE YA » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Replaced the rear brakes, on my daily 67 beetle in the cold and the snow .

Plus side trolley jack moved axle stand saved the day ?.
EVERY MILE IS A SMILE

JPB

#37 Post by JPB » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:02 pm

About time you Englandshire types had some snedge! :lol: None up here this winter so far. :P

Still warm here for the time of year so I did some fettling to the Allett's gearbox and fitted a new rocker shaft to its engine. It still rattles like a twunt and refuses to cut until it's in 3rd, the trouble being that by then, the wretched thing's running at about 20mph. :o
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Martin Evans

#38 Post by Martin Evans » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm

Just ordered a new control box for the dynamo on the Morris.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

Toledo Man

#39 Post by Toledo Man » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:17 pm

Just bought a Unipart oil filter via eBay for the Acclaim in readiness for the next oil change.
Finished charging up the Dolomite's battery so I can have another go at getting this car running again.
Put the Citroen's battery on charge.
Been comparing meerkats for the Citroen.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

rich.

#40 Post by rich. » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:37 pm

this week ive fitted new lhd headlamps to the mr2 & ive been using it as a works van for the past 3 days as the temp has dropped to -8 & the van refused to start..