What classic vehicles have you seen?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: What classic vehicles have you seen?

#2091 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Much as I'd love to take credit for the extra detail, the DVLA's website provided the exact year and month of first registration. All I knew was the make and model and frankly, anyone who doesn't feel at least some love for these lovely old things should be fed to some ravenous lions. :mrgreen:

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to drive a friend's beautifully preserved example back in the nineties and that car impressed me on so many levels that I can still close my eyes and drift back in time to that day, even now, many drives in many great classics later.
8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

harvey

#2092 Post by harvey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:34 pm

JPB wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to drive a friend's beautifully preserved example back in the nineties and that car impressed me on so many levels that I can still close my eyes and drift back in time to that day, even now, many drives in many great classics later.
8-)
I couldn't agree more. A mate of mine bought one from an auction and I drove it back for him, and although I was a bit unnerved that it was going to be a pig to drive, in fact it was exactly the opposite. Lovely old thing.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

GHT

#2093 Post by GHT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:04 pm

This hideous monstrosity has the temerity to sport a Jaguar badge. Heresy! And just when I thought that the Jaguar name, besmirched by Ford for producing a Jaguar Mondeo, was being restored by Tata.
hats 002.JPG
hats 002.JPG (212.79 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
In the same supermarket car park, a young compo pulled up in this banger, they went so well together, a right pair of scruffs. I will not tolerate a banger of a car being described as having patina. It's a banger, a great banger and I love it, especially with Compo, but it's still a banger.
hats 003.JPG
hats 003.JPG (99.14 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
hats 004.JPG
hats 004.JPG (86.47 KiB) Viewed 3022 times
I couldn't think what to call the file, then remembering Compo's wooley hat..............

GHT

#2094 Post by GHT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Saw this Yank at a vintage affair, any ideas John?
trousers 003.JPG
trousers 003.JPG (97.77 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

JPB

#2095 Post by JPB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:04 am

I didn't know the model without checking but did think Studebaker, DVLA confirmed this and their record shows that it's a Studebaker President, registered on the 31st of December 1925. It looks beautiful.
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#2096 Post by GHT » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Spot on as ever, what I should have done was give you a close up of the wheels. They are made of wood, (not the tyres) each wheel has been skillfully crafted by a wheelwright, the way they made carriage wheels in the horse and cart days. It was truly a work of art.

Since owning the MG, I get asked at festivals many a question about the car, so what I've done is to write a journal with lots of pictorial pages. And to prevent it being all car, car, car, I've added a few anecdotes. One being about buying fuel when I first started driving in 1964. Self service was unheard of, you got served at the pump. To clarify this I searched for some old photos, in doing so I came across this amazing, art deco garage, that a couple had saved from demolition, and now it's their home.
Art_Deco_EE_Pumps.jpg
Art_Deco_EE_Pumps.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Art_Deco_EE_Manor2.jpg
Art_Deco_EE_Manor2.jpg (75.69 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
Art_Deco_EE_Manor.jpg
Art_Deco_EE_Manor.jpg (64.93 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

JPB

#2097 Post by JPB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 pm

That's an amazing success story, the petrol station being converted into residential property. How many of us would love to have a row of petrol pumps in our front garden too? Yep, and I'd want a wee old guy in a brown storecoat, obligatory pencil behind ear, to sit out on the lawn in a small hut, taking money for washing the windows of passing cars.

Today, I was almost forced off the road by some twunt in a 1967 MGBGT. Island blue it was, but its driver was an appalling example of the type that puts "civilians" off the idea of joining the ranks of the old car people, the type whose arse had become so pinched in his B's aftermarket bucket furniture that he'd have to call the RAF to get him out of there!
It was a spectacularly fine looking (and sounding) car, its engine clearly tight and torquey, just like they were when they were new. The body was - as far as I could tell - about as perfect as it's possible to keep an older car that's used on weekdays, but damn! that driver was a right proper twunt and no mistake. :|
J

GHT

#2098 Post by GHT » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:11 pm

JPB wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:48 pm
That's an amazing success story, the petrol station being converted into residential property. How many of us would love to have a row of petrol pumps in our front garden too? Yep, and I'd want a wee old guy in a brown storecoat, obligatory pencil behind ear, to sit out on the lawn in a small hut, taking money for washing the windows of passing cars.
Quite by chance, whilst searching for something completely different, I came across a couple of photos of that art deco garage pre-restoration. Looking at them you have to admire the foresight of someone who sees through the dereliction:
Manor garage pre restoration..jpg
Manor garage pre restoration..jpg (42.52 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Manor garage pre restoration.1.jpg
Manor garage pre restoration.1.jpg (50.37 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

sierra3dr

#2099 Post by sierra3dr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Going through cheadle Hulme

gazza82

#2100 Post by gazza82 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Far too many to list ... I just happened to be in Monterey/Carmel a few days before the Car Week started in earnest ... they had a large number parked up along several block of Pacific Grove the day we arrived .. I'll try and get some pics added over the coming days (in between trying to catch up with "real" work).

This one wasn't there but parked up in Santa Barbara .. surprised SWMBO who saw it first!

Californian_Moggie.JPG
Californian_Moggie.JPG (89.56 KiB) Viewed 2903 times
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck