What classic vehicles have you seen?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
gazza82

Re: What classic vehicles have you seen?

#2241 Post by gazza82 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:12 pm

Ford Sierra Cosworth (white!) passed me on the Marlow By-Pass on Wednesday morning. Looked very nice and recently restored? Wheels weren't original, but I'd over-look that if I had a chance (and the spare money) to buy one.

Never got a chance to try one, but I did test drive a Sierra Sapphire 4x4 as a potential company car many, many moons ago. It just didn't do it for me then ..

Interestingly he slowed down when overtaking ME ... so did the BRZ catch his eye? :thumbs:

And earlier that day going south along same section, a Dolomite Sprint. The dark red/maroon paint job. Looked totally original and sounded nice as they accelerated up the incline away from Bisham roundabout.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Dick

#2242 Post by Dick » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:00 pm

Id love a cosworth.... been meaning to post for a while , while on my recent travels i spotted a few Porsches including a 914 and i also spotted an im not sure what it was... a single seat micro car a bit bigger than a Sinclair c5 thing but with the body of a 50s land speed racer..it was coming from a petrol station and drove down the cycle lanes.. ive been trawling through the net and can't find any info.. if anyone has any idea what it is can you post a few pictures and put me out of my misery

JPB

#2243 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:14 pm

Dick wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:00 pm
Id love a cosworth.... been meaning to post for a while , while on my recent travels i spotted a few Porsches including a 914 and i also spotted an im not sure what it was... a single seat micro car a bit bigger than a Sinclair c5 thing but with the body of a 50s land speed racer..it was coming from a petrol station and drove down the cycle lanes.. ive been trawling through the net and can't find any info.. if anyone has any idea what it is can you post a few pictures and put me out of my misery
:?

Could you have spotted a Brutsch Mopetta, like this 1957 model seen below these words:

or maybe this Cursor (a replica one):
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Dick

#2244 Post by Dick » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:15 pm

Thanks for input but you're in the same style with the first one.. the only thing I can find is this... but its got wings and an extra axle
https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/histo ... never-ran/

GHT

#2245 Post by GHT » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:05 am

Gazza, your sighting of the Cosworth brought back an amusing memory. In her working life my missus was a paramedic, she told me of a tale about an old lady who had been injured in a minor shunt whilst in her son's car. When asked what kind of car her son had, the old lady replied: "A Ford Cotswold."

John, those two three wheelers have got to be either the wackiest WTF cars ever, or maybe they are something that 'Q' department dreamed up. "Do pay attention, double 'o' seven!"

Dick, that Merc, seeing it with it's body panels on, is reminiscent of Donald Campbell's jet propelled Bluebird. Old fart that I am, I'm probably the only one here that saw it on the news when Campbell made his record run.
bluebird.jpg
bluebird.jpg (11.37 KiB) Viewed 17657 times
Driving along the M27 yesterday, heading west towards the A31, I saw the back of a van that I had no idea what it was. The H plate told me it was 1970, but I did recognise when I went past. I couldn't photograph it, although it's probably on the dashcam. However, like all things technical, I have no idea how to rewind or capture dashcam images. The dashcam is useful in that it reduced insurance premiums. This is not the van, the one that I saw was painted khaki and was immaculate, going along quite well too,around fifty, fifty five mph.
Citroen Van.jpg
Citroen Van.jpg (244.12 KiB) Viewed 17657 times

suffolkpete

#2246 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:46 am

They do go quite well as this one on the banking at Montlhery shows. They are also the mobile caterers' vehicle of choice in the UK
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Dick

#2247 Post by Dick » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:23 pm

GHT wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:05 am
Gazza, your sighting of the Cosworth brought back an amusing memory. In her working life my missus was a paramedic, she told me of a tale about an old lady who had been injured in a minor shunt whilst in her son's car. When asked what kind of car her son had, the old lady replied: "A Ford Cotswold."

John, those two three wheelers have got to be either the wackiest WTF cars ever, or maybe they are something that 'Q' department dreamed up. "Do pay attention, double 'o' seven!"

Dick, that Merc, seeing it with it's body panels on, is reminiscent of Donald Campbell's jet propelled Bluebird. Old fart that I am, I'm probably the only one here that saw it on the news when Campbell made his record run.
bluebird.jpg

Driving along the M27 yesterday, heading west towards the A31, I saw the back of a van that I had no idea what it was. The H plate told me it was 1970, but I did recognise when I went past. I couldn't photograph it, although it's probably on the dashcam. However, like all things technical, I have no idea how to rewind or capture dashcam images. The dashcam is useful in that it reduced insurance premiums. This is not the van, the one that I saw was painted khaki and was immaculate, going along quite well too,around fifty, fifty five mph.
Citroen Van.jpg
Ght, bluebird is a very close copy of the thing I spotted except the cockpit was the other end...
Id love to know what it was...

gazza82

#2248 Post by gazza82 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:34 pm

Spotted a very clean and nice looking BMW Z1 .. I would have taken a pic but there were a few tradesmen working at the property and thought better of it ..
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Zelandeth

#2249 Post by Zelandeth » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:03 pm

Nice spot over in Wolverton this afternoon.

16TGS so a pretty nice spec if I'm remembering their trim levels right.
My website - aka. My *other* waste of time
Current fleet: 73 AC Model-70. 75 Rover 3500. 84 Trabant 601S. 85 Sinclair C5. 88 Renault 25 Monaco. 06 Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi.

Dick

#2250 Post by Dick » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:41 pm

I have happy memories of the bx (a former girlfriend had a couple) what's happening with yours??