What classic vehicles have you seen?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: What classic vehicles have you seen?

#1311 Post by rich. » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm

TerryG wrote:I was "delayed" on my way home by a slow moving Fiat Panda on an H plate. According to ASK MID, it is a " S.TACCHINI" which I assume means something to someone. Budget motoring from when it was actually motoring on a small budget!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Tacchini

a mate had one back in the 90s :lol:

Martin Evans

#1312 Post by Martin Evans » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:52 pm

JPB wrote:Today I spotted a mid-'70s VW van of the loaf variety demonstrating that no matter how refined their far distant flat four motors make the cabs in these, they're scary in gales. The owner was a very strange shade of green as the van slewed about all over the road but give it credit where it was due; it remained more or less upright which - sadly - was more than could have been said for some HGVs today. :cry:
My father had a Devon VW Camper and whilst it was clearly not going to be good in the wind, it was much better than the Type 3 estate that he had before it. The Type 3 was one of the later models (1971), with the higher bonnet (Bigger front boot) and that was a real wind catcher :shock: . I think the worst thing I drove in wind, was a Daihatsu 850 van. I was on the A34 between Oxford and the M4 and to go straight ahead, I had the steering 45 degees to the right. I wasn't going much over 40 as I recall. The worst wind I have ever driven in was in November 2008 (No I wasn't driving through Cardiff Docks....I mean Bay....no I mean Docks, when the Ass was in session), after a trip to the Elan Valley, with a local classic car club. It was quite scary and there were things flying across the road. I was lucky that the car wasn't hit by anything. It was also raining quite a bit too. I stopped off at my parents, to ensure all was well but was glad to get the car back to the garage.

The wind hasn't been too bad here today. It was a bit windy this morning, as I climbed towards the top of the valley, on an exposed old tramroad but when I got back down into the valley, there was more shelter. After the clear skies of yesterday evening, I was relieved to wake up to a westerley wind and overcast. That said, a tree has apparently come down on the A40 but given the unkempt nature of many trees, it doesn't always take much. I suppose nothing will be done until a tree falls on a school bus and then there will be a mad panic to pollard or fell overhanging and overly high trees, that line the roads.
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

rich.

#1313 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 pm

i followed a small van yesterday, best description olly the little white van with sliding doors (similar to bedford ca type).. looks like a voiture sans permis.. sorry no pic.. im sure john will know what it is :lol:

JPB

#1314 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Sorry mate, my crystal ball needs a new gearbox so I don't know what you may have seen.

Might it have been something like this:

:mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#1315 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:40 pm

not that one john... i will gooogle it :lol:
otherwise i really like the one you have suggested :thumbs:

rich.

#1316 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:45 pm

JPB

#1317 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:47 pm

:shock: :drool:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#1318 Post by TerryG » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:06 pm

That looks like a Daewoo Matiz has mated with a Peugeot 1007. Bizarre!
When are you ordering one John?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#1319 Post by JPB » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:39 pm

TerryG wrote:That looks like a Daewoo Matiz has mated with a Peugeot 1007. Bizarre!
When are you ordering one John?
:lol: It's just the sort of crazy car that I could see myself buying just out of curiousity, especially since I'm shortly to be issued with a free charging point on my land, courtesy of the local council. :ugeek:

It reminded me slightly of the original Fiat Multipla from the '60s, which is a good thing, IMHO.
I wonder; would the unholy alliance of the small Daewoo (Chevrolet as they are now) and the weird Pug be known as the Daepoo 10iz or the Woogeot Mat07? I had a similar debate on a Grateful Dead forum regarding the name of a band formed by members of two similarly great acts of the period: Led Dead, Grateful Led, Dead Zeppelin or Grateful Zeppelin? :lol:

I shouldn't be here 'cos I've worked all day and haven't been spotting. :oops:
J

rich.

#1320 Post by rich. » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 pm

:lol: :lol: