What classic vehicles have you seen?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: What classic vehicles have you seen?

#2061 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 pm

Rich, it's the vehicle that set Toyota on their way to becoming the world's largest manufacturer of stuff. Everybody** likes a decent BJ and that one with the wooden bits added is giving me quite a thrill I don't mind admitting!

**OK, so maybe some folk need an MG instead.. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#2062 Post by GHT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:15 am

JPB wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 pm
Rich, it's the vehicle that set Toyota on their way to becoming the world's largest manufacturer of stuff. Everybody** likes a decent BJ and that one with the wooden bits added is giving me quite a thrill I don't mind admitting!

**OK, so maybe some folk need an MG instead.. ;)
On the contrary, I like a decent BJ, that's one talent that the missus is really good at.

Tigdlo

#2063 Post by Tigdlo » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 am

I don't need to read this sort of dross, so I'm leaving this site for good.
Goodbye!

GHT

#2064 Post by GHT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:48 pm

Tigdlo wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 am
I don't need to read this sort of dross, so I'm leaving this site for good.
Goodbye!
Did I overstep the mark with that last remark?

JPB

#2065 Post by JPB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Maybe she's angry about something else? We can't all like the same makes & models and some folk only like one particular car, so become quite vexed when people try to discuss others. Maybe the inability shown by some of us, always to have a camera at the ready while we're driving, is the issue? But more worryingly, maybe it's some sort of anti-Japanese sentiment that led the woman to get into a strop, and that's not healthy.
:?

As she clearly didn't know what we were talking about, here's an image of a BJ 40, not seen by myself, but borrowed from the web to inform and illustrate:

Look at how original that one is, it even has its factory wheels with the little lumpy bits in the nave plates to accommodate its free wheeling hubs.
I'm sorry that it's not a 1970s Reliant - which, by the way, I also find fascinating - but hey-ho, such is life.
:|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#2066 Post by GHT » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 am

JPB wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:18 pm
Maybe she's angry about something else? We can't all like the same makes & models and some folk only like one particular car, so become quite vexed when people try to discuss others.

There's no point saying that I was referring to The Toyota, mine was a crude definition of the BJ acronym. It was meant as a joke, sometimes though, I forget that my humour isn't shared by others, even though I share the humour of most members liking BL & Vauxhall cars. Personally, I think that such appreciation for dross proves that their Mothers didn't love them, forcing them to run the gauntlet of shame among their peers, as they sit in such cars on the school run.
JPB wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:18 pm
Maybe the inability shown by some of us, always to have a camera at the ready while we're driving, is the issue? But more worryingly, maybe it's some sort of anti-Japanese sentiment that led the woman to get into a strop, and that's not healthy.
:?

As she clearly didn't know what we were talking about, here's an image of a BJ 40, not seen by myself, but borrowed from the web to inform and illustrate:

Talking of shame, Toyota lack no such emotion, blatantly ripping off an icon.
Attachments
Renegade.jpg
Renegade.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 3217 times

gazza82

#2067 Post by gazza82 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:10 pm

Pretty sure it was a Lancia Fulvia on the M40 going south near J10 yesterday evening around 5:30pm .. competition stickers etc but road-legal. No pics as I was driving .. and the rain was pretty yuk!

Earlier that day, a model T on the back of a flatbed going north near J9.

And in the car park near the A30 & A35 Owners' Club committee meeting unsurprisingly an A35 and A30 van. Being wet they are normally kept tucked up in the warm and dry!

Oh and a Jag XK-R Supercharged!!
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

UKJeeper

#2068 Post by UKJeeper » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:25 am

A few from the weekend:

JPB

#2069 Post by JPB » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:21 pm

That Carina looks mightily clean. Certainly brought a :drool: to my face. Only one MOT fail on its record and even that was just for a tyre being a little bald, which is one of these fails which shouldn't happen, like lamps not working for the want of a simple 50p replacement, or PW bottles being empty.

I saw an Austin A40 of the Mk1 Farina shape, which appeared very tidy in its Farina grey with the black roof, on a D road at 55:24.9722N 1:55.2595W this morning, but by the time I'd established the location and switched on the camera, the car was well away. Hey-ho, at least I know what to enter in my nav app if I want to go back there again!
:scared:
J

vulgalour

#2070 Post by vulgalour » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 pm

That Toyota and that Hillman are lovely things. Cortina's not bad either.

@GHT: my late mother is directly responsible for my love of dross, she was very fond of old Datsuns and my Princess and was quite happy up to her elbows in grease and broken bits of car.