What classic vehicles have you seen?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: What classic vehicles have you seen?

#2031 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:41 pm

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Wow! Imagine how much the white Land Cruiser would fetch here, even with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Unless of course it's one of the 7000 or so supplied to the US for use by postal workers, which were RHD so that the lazy buggers didn't have to walk round at every house.
:lol:
Don't suppose you noticed what the asking price for that was? I'd love one but a good BJ costs loads. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

UKJeeper

#2032 Post by UKJeeper » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 pm

JPB wrote::drool: :drool: :drool:

Wow! Imagine how much the white Land Cruiser would fetch here, even with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Unless of course it's one of the 7000 or so supplied to the US for use by postal workers, which were RHD so that the lazy buggers didn't have to walk round at every house.
:lol:
Don't suppose you noticed what the asking price for that was? I'd love one but a good BJ costs loads. :|
:?: You mean the Jeep DJ? The USPS never had FJ's as fleet vehicles.

JPB

#2033 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:33 pm

According to information posted a few years ago on one of the Toyota fora, by a bloke who travelled across from Canada to buy one that tipped up on CL for a very fair price, that 7000 or so were used in Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Montana, with a further handful to be found in Wisconsin working alongside the indigenous (Jeep) products. These were all SWB Diesels (BJ) though, I didn't mention the FJ.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

UKJeeper

#2034 Post by UKJeeper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:49 pm

JPB wrote:According to information posted a few years ago on one of the Toyota fora, by a bloke who travelled across from Canada to buy one that tipped up on CL for a very fair price, that 7000 or so were used in Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and Montana, with a further handful to be found in Wisconsin working alongside the indigenous (Jeep) products. These were all SWB Diesels (BJ) though, I didn't mention the FJ.
I would query that. Various iterations of 'DJ' Jeeps have been used through the years. Never heard of the USPS using 'foreign' vehicles. Especially 7000 of them. I've had a search and not found a single mention of 'Yota's as US postie trucks yet. Though that's not to say independant contractors might have used them. I'll keep searching, and asking around...

gazza82

#2035 Post by gazza82 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Only ever see these things when I'm driving so can't take photos but today:

K reg Mercedes C180 (does that count?)

A-reg Ford Sierra XR4i (that must count!)

Very nice looking red MG Midget MkIII? on a low-loader but plates covered up so unsure of age.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

jpsh120

#2036 Post by jpsh120 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:58 am

Don't see these very often!

1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

JPB

#2037 Post by JPB » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:24 am

:drool: You don't. :|
Most surviving examples seem to be ex-Busby versions, perhaps a result of these being the responsibility of the individual engineers, many of whom soaked their vehicle in Ensis V to keep the rust at bay. Wouldn't it be just like the thing if that's a civvie one that's been given the OFAH treatment!
J

suffolkpete

#2038 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:22 pm

BT converted their fleet to unleaded, which is probably another reason why they've survived. Buzby pre-dates Maestro vans by quite some time.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

jpsh120

#2039 Post by jpsh120 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:29 pm

How about this one. Not strictly a classic as it's a kit but....

1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

Talking Hoarse

#2040 Post by Talking Hoarse » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:57 pm

I recognise that venue - I presume Rare Breeds day @ Haynes Museum back in September. Had to be elsewhere on the day else I would have been on parade with Doris-the-Datsun. Like the Rapier in the background of the Metro shot.
I currently volunteer (ie "dust & dither") at BMM aka Gaydon a couple of days each month - there are always some great cars in the car park at least at weekends. Must post some..........
Ed