Bang to wrongs?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Martin Evans

Re: Bang to wrongs?

#1 Post by Martin Evans » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 pm

I wonder would it have still been a "Civil" matter, if the victim had caught the thief and given him a good beating :?: I suspect reducing the pile of "Paperwork" may have been at the back of this. I run an Internet business and we've had people try to pull various stunts (Fraud if you like) and the Police weren't interested :roll: .

Once, when I was selling a car (In fact the only time I have actually needed to "Sell" a car), I was sent a forged cheque (I hadn't parted with the car) and they weren't interested :roll: :shock: :!:

I am always reminded of the two in Last of the Summer Wine, when I hear these sorts of stories :lol: :!:
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

suffolkpete

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 pm

The other worrying aspect about this is whether the DVLA issued a new V5C when the legal owner told them he hadn't sold the car, the response from the police rather implies that they did. The normal procedure is that DVLA write the last registered keeper and they then have three weeks in which to reply. Even if they did issue a new document though,it doesn't alter the fact that the new keeper doesn't own the car. If you buy goods, you can't get a better title to them that that of the person selling them, the concept of "Buying in good faith" has no legal standing, although it may get you off a charge of handling.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

harvey

#3 Post by harvey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Add to all of the above that it's printed on the V5 that it's only the registered keeper that's shown, not the legal owner, and you have all the ingredients for this kind of c*ck up.
Currently over 35 years worth of fixing 35 boxes.
Hoping to reach 65 years worth of fixing 65 boxes.

bnicho

#4 Post by bnicho » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:36 am

I read of a smilar case in PC some years ago. I think it was a staffer?

Said person had his restored MGB stolen and it was reported to the Police. The thief later applied to have the registration transferred into their name. The owner had a letter from the DVLA and contacted both the Police and DVLA. The DVLA needed to pass the details onto the Police before they could pay the theif a visit. But the DVLA took something like six weeks to do so. By then the thief had disposed of the vehicle and he "couldn't remember" what he did with it. Quite ridiculous. :roll:
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Maaarrghk

#5 Post by Maaarrghk » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 am

This opens up old wounds and I am appalled (but not surprised) that nothing has changed since 1989, when I suffered a similar experience.

There is a way round this, but I cannot discuss at present as I have asked PC to put me in touch with the victim.

I was lucky as I knew who had stolen my car and was able to get it back by keeping an eye on the thiefs business premises. As soon as it turned up I was in there at midnight with a recovery trailer. There was then just the small (well, huge) matter of the damage done during the 4 months of the thiefs tenure.

Due to the DVLA only being interested in getting the road tax, the V5 only gives the name of who is responsible for that. It gives no indication of title to the vehicle.

IT'S TIME THAT IT DID.

Currently, anyone can get a V5 for any car. All one has to do is claim that they are in possession of the vehicle and intend to use it on the road.

The only proof to title is a bill of sale and anyone can falsify one of those, particularly if the last keeper was a private individual rather than a dealer.

The police see no result in this for them, as it will descend into one of those "he said, she said" situations. However, should the victim wish to pop round to get his car back (assuming he knows where it is) the police will be happy to protect the thief as I am well aware.

Believe me, there are very few things for a car owner worse than being told by a desk seargent "If you try to take it back we will probably arrest you for stealing your own car. Ho Ho Ho!" That's an EXACT word for word quote. Twenty two years later and that's still the bit that hurts most of all.

And of course, going down the civil action route is going to cost a hell of a lot with no guarantee of getting the car back even if title to it is settled in the owners favour.