Total Stupidity Awards 2011

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TriumphDriver

Total Stupidity Awards 2011

#1 Post by TriumphDriver » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:14 am

...and this week's Totally Stoopid Award goes to... ME.

The brakes on the GT6 have seized, a rock hard brake pedal.
I bled the system and the master cylinder moved perfectly so it's not that.
Stripped down both rear brakes, no problems as they were replaced last Summer.
Took both front wheels off and both calipers were really tight - I put EBC Greenstuff pads on and to be honest I'm not impressed at all.
So - had to use my piston separator to get them out. Boy they were stiff, the pistons wouldn't retract at all. Piston looks to be straight in the caliper, no wear but it won't budge. So just a little more force on the wrench...
Then... Bang. My piston separator flies into two bits, sheared by the force being used. I gave up, intending to commence a complete caliper rebuild on Monday.
I went to put the top back on the brake master cylinder...
...and it hadn't been removed. No wonder the pistons wouldn't retract...!!
D'OH!
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

suffolkpete

Re: Total Stupidity Awards 2011

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:06 am

Hmm.., not sure about that, every disc braked car I've ever owned, I've been able to retract the pads with the cap on. It should have an air hole in it. Are you sure the flexible hoses haven't collapsed? Let us know how you get on.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Luxobarge

#3 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 am

^^^WHS^^^
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

CompoSimmonite

#4 Post by CompoSimmonite » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Try releasing pressure in caliper via bleed nipple. If piston then retracts you know hose has collapsed internally.
We had a Chrysler Neon on which main agent diagnosed ABS unit faulty (£1500 + fitting + vat) as similar problem with calipers. Turned out to be both front hoses faulty (£26 pair)

Paul H

TriumphDriver

#5 Post by TriumphDriver » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:55 pm

Stripped down the entire brake system and rebuilt today. I found one rear cylinder quite tight on the drum so adjustment needed in any case; but the front caliper that broke the piston spreader had both pistons seized solid.
What had happened was: I used EBC Greenstuff pads for the first time ever last season, but covered less than 200 miles all year. The pads had been quite tight in the caliper to begin with and due to the low mileage hadn't really begun to bed in. The caliper was therefore sticking due to little use all year.
When I used the pad spreader after removing the pads I first screwed it tight to the disc then extended both pistons right out to free them up. On screwing them back in, due to the design of the pad spreader it pushed them back at a slight angle. Both pistons then stuck in their bores. When I removed the caliper and applied pressure to the other side - the side you can't get at because of the disc - they both went straight back in.
I won't be using EBC pads again - due to my low mileage these days they're not as forgiving as cheaper pads - but neither will I be using that sort of piston spreader again. I'll make one up myself that tightens across both sides at once and applies pressure equally across the piston. (G clamps and bits of wood? Been there, done that, and this tool was supposed to replace the need for four hands.....:))
So.. it wasn't the cap!
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:55 pm

im sorry you only get the award if you do it again.....