DVLA License scam

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Mitsuru

DVLA License scam

#1 Post by Mitsuru » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 am

I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

suffolkpete

Re: DVLA License scam

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:48 am

As with a lot of these scams, the spelling mistake is a giveaway. Also, if you place the cursor over the link, you can see where it's going, and it won't be the DVLA!
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm not so sure that the spelling necessarily gives it away. I had an official correspondence recently in connection with my appeal to have my licence extended to its expiry on my 70th birthday, in 2034, instead of remaining 3 yearly as it stands.

Not only did the real DVLA spell "their" as "there" just like that mistake you refer to, but they put "it's" (it is) in place of "its" (belonging to it) when they referred to the conditions of my licence in the possessive sense of the term. Bracketed bits included purely for the benefit of anyone reading this late at night and not catching on immediately, we've all done it, yes? Well, so has the DVLA.
The link, as it happens, is one of those São Paulo mailbox ones that's usually found at the end of a spoof email that claims to provide free, internet TV.
Yeah, as though Ubuntu users would be knobbled by that! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TriumphDriver

#4 Post by TriumphDriver » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:33 pm

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/DVLA-licence ... scam.shtml

Hoax Slayer. An excellent site, wipes out Internet bullshitters in a flash!
As Mitsuru says, a phishing scam link.
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

Willy Eckerslyke

#5 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:54 pm

suffolkpete wrote:As with a lot of these scams, the spelling mistake is a giveaway. Also, if you place the cursor over the link, you can see where it's going, and it won't be the DVLA!
No, it was more subtle that. I got a copy of that scam email a month or two back and was curious enough to look it over. The email came with an HTML attachment which I opened in Notepad to see what was what. It contained lots of links, images and CSS formatting from the genuine DVLA site. The only place another site was came in, was when you submitted the html form - and off it went to .ru (Russia).
And as placing the cursor over the submit button does not show you where the form's contents are being sent, you'd have been none the wiser.