My winter project

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
messerschmitt owner

My winter project

#1 Post by messerschmitt owner » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:38 pm

I've been tidying my garage - in preparation for getting my schmitt back on the road.

I put up a new shed and filled it with 'crap' from the garage, tidying the garage, bought some pine shelves at the local auction, used up some old chipboard flooring to put on one wall and fitted tool clips plus my little drawers from the other shed so all is easy and accessible. Still a few things to leave the garage but it is pretty empty, I can see inside, have room to walk all round the car, heat, power and both vices usable.

In mid-December, I spun the engine on the schmitt for the first time in a decade too - it'll be running soon, then I must find an MoT station that does Class III. I have to rewire the 'black' box' electrics as neither one I tried is working well.

Here's how the garage looks just now.

DSC_8384 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

DSC_8381 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

DSC_8372 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

DSC_8435 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

I now have power and heat in the garage - and spent a couple of hours dismantling bits off the car!

Floor seems to have held up well to a decade of no use and (bad me) being put away wet.

DSC_8396 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

Savable - I need to clean it out, pop in some rust preventer and then another coat of smoothrite (this time I think I may do the floor and sides in white rather than black.

I can now see the engine bay!

DSC_8426 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

DSC_8424 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

but I am going to have to buy a couple of spray cans (in black) from Halfords!

DSC_8407 by messerschmitt owner, on Flickr

Jobs I definitely need to do include a steering bottom bush (thankfully, it's just a nylon bush and I already have one), which involves undoing the steering column, and popping bush between both track rods and reassembling! I also need to sort out a split weld on a captive nut holding the boot on!

Jeremy Oxton

Re: My winter project

#2 Post by Jeremy Oxton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Dashing! You're one lucky chap.

messerschmitt owner

Re: My winter project

#3 Post by messerschmitt owner » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Jeremy Oxton wrote:Dashing! You're one lucky chap.
I bought it in 1987 for £200 - she's done about 3,000 miles in my ownership but has sat while other things like children, house moves (three) and time have got in the way ... now it's time to play with it again.