Cars I'v had................ lots of pics. lol

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Paul240480

Cars I'v had................ lots of pics. lol

#1 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 am

I passed my test in 1980. Since then I've owned the following:
'78' Mk1 Cav' 1.6GL
'81' Opel Kadett 1.3S
'82'Cav Mk2 1.6GL
'84'Cav Mk2 1.6L
'87' Monty 1.6L
'91'Volvo Torslanda
'96' Volvo 850T5s
'87' Volvo 340GL
'82' Volvo 240GLT
'91'Volvo 480 Turbo Auto'
'89' Volvo 240GL
'96' Volvo 850 2.5GLT 20v

So that's my 'lot', what have you owned? (Pics too if poss, we all love pics 8-) )

Willy Eckerslyke

Re: Cars I'v had................ lots of pics. lol

#2 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:44 am

These were my first four, cost £150, £100, £35, £100 respectively (I was learning fast):

Toledo Man

#3 Post by Toledo Man » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:43 pm

The green MK2 Cav is identical to one of the four that I've had. It was a 1982 Cav 1.6L reg no. TVH792X It ended up being stolen and was never recovered.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)

Paul240480

#4 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:05 pm

Toledo Man wrote:The green MK2 Cav is identical to one of the four that I've had. It was a 1982 Cav 1.6L reg no. TVH792X It ended up being stolen and was never recovered.
Mine was a GL, KPO 145 Y :D

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:09 pm

@ Willy Eckerslyke; I love the look of the Hunter Estate and the Princess. What wonderful purchases they must have been.
I had a far scruffier Hunter, CHH819L, that had very little in the way of steel around the rear shackle mounts, inner sills and much of the floor, but it went well and cost me £15 with 8 months of MOT remaining! :shock:
Among my various BMC Farina-bodied saloons, none was as big a bargain as your Princess.

Marvellous stuff.

I've very few pictures of anything from before this:
but shall attempt to scan and upload to flickR some more car pics as and when I find them.
Another image of LTF, giving a jump start to one of my other kittens some years ago, below that, my rare, black Rebel 600 saloon:
My last Rebel Estate, before someone took a steam cleaner to the body and washed off many years worth of polish :cry: :
In this image, you can just about see my grey Volvo 144, FBY 346H, somewhere in that lot:
That was a very solid car which eventually got hit from behind by a stupid child in an uninsured, untested and generally unroadworthy Micra. I went round to his parents' house with a couple of friends to "negotiate" the payment for the new rear bumper trim and number plate lamp (you should've seen the state of the Micra :lol: ) but they had no money and we ended up having a cuppa with them and fixing their Montego's leaking sunroof. Just too soft, that's my trouble.
Another of my Rebels, GUS265L, alive, now in its original light blue and still providing reliable transport for its current owner:
My 1979 Renault 12TL Estate, with 17 Gordini engine, 5-speed Trafic van gearbox and front suspension converted to struts, using Fuégo parts. This was only a 6 year old car at the time, where did they all go since, eh?
My 1977 Vauxhall VX1800, fitted with a 2300cc engine from a CF van after the original died at around 300,000 miles from new, the car had been a taxi but the BL garage that sold it to me in 1987 didn't bother to worry me with that snippet of information:
It went well though, and was swapped later that year for 4388DG, my Almond Green with white roof Morris Oxford VI. I know there are old prints showing the Oxford, and some of the other 60+ cars not shown, that I've owned, those will need to wait for now.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

stagman

#6 Post by stagman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:24 pm

as well as a Hillman Imp, TR7, MGB etc - one of these about 25+ yrs ago

a Subaru GFT

Paul240480

#7 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Some fantastic cars are appearing here 8-) Enjoying it greatly. Keep em' coming :D

@ JPB all the Renault 12's are in Northern Cyprus & still going strongly ;)

JPB

#8 Post by JPB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:44 pm

Stagman, that Subaru brings back some memories I can tell you.
I was paid through university by the International Motors industry training scheme for "promising" ( :lol: ) young engineers and my work placements were all in the then new Subaru franchised garages, we still saw a few of those turning up in the '80s for servicing and repairs but, even then, some earlier cars had already gone the way of all things made from thin, cheap steel.
Those old OHV engines fitted to the pre-L series cars were pretty much indestructible though and at this point I must confess that I was responsible for fitting one to a Jowett Javelin when a friend, a hard-up student at the time, bought an example of Bradford's finest to restore but had far more skill than money so had to improvise. :shock:
Paul, I also had a 1970, 'H' plate 12 at one time, it was remarkably rust-free in the late '80s when I last saw it and when I had the '79 estate the R12s always appeared to be lasting far better than their Ford contemporaries, such as the 1980 Cortina that needed a complete boot floor and sundry bits of attached metalwork when it was a mere five years old.
I obtained the sump guard, tombstone seats, centre console and alloys for that green 12 estate from a Dacia Denem in a scrapyard. That Dacia was a mere three years old and had more holes than it had steel but the French originals always seemed quite durable, then they were gone, seemingly overnight. Renault-wise I also had a couple of 30s at one time. One, bought to supply its V6 to a Volvo 340 project but found to be far too good to break, was still running in Edinburgh as recently as 2002. I did try to buy it but the current keeper of the car wanted lots of money and I was a bit skint at the time. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

spiderbloke

#9 Post by spiderbloke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:14 pm

First car I bought was a white Hillman Super Minx drophead that cost me the princely sum of £25 off of a colleague in the late 70's. Definitely one I should have kept, but I exchanged it for a mini after only a couple of weeks as it stuck out of my off road parking space and blocked half the pavement.
So many broken bits, So little time

stagman

#10 Post by stagman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:58 pm

JPB wrote:Stagman, that Subaru brings back some memories I can tell you.
I was paid through university by the International Motors industry training scheme for "promising" ( :lol: ) young engineers and my work placements were all in the then new Subaru franchised garages, :(

did not happen to do a spell at Continental Car Centre in Stanmore did you ?? My father was sales director there - they were one of the very early Subaru dealers. Used to work at his garage in the school holidays :)

Hence I had a few other Subarus as well - later model ones- had a 1800 GLF 2 door Coupe and a GLF 4x4 hatchback.
The GFT was my favourite though, wished I had kept it, it was rust free apart from the front wings and I replaced those.