Sign the Reshell or Die petition and save a classic

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Gary Stretton

Sign the Reshell or Die petition and save a classic

#1 Post by Gary Stretton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:08 pm

Hello Neil and PCF users,

not the place you'd expect me to appear but it's for a good cause. This not being Bauer turf I hope you'll oblige this posting as it has huge implications for the classic car industry.
I've just launched the Reshell or Die campaign asking for a change in the law regarding reshelling a classic AND retaining its original ID.

The full proposal and sign the petition link is at http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42909.html.
I'll be asking all journalists and publications in the classic sector and beyond to lend their weight to it.

I hope the users of PCF will get behind the campaign and help change what I believe is outdated legislation.

All the best,
Gary.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sign the Reshell or Die petition and save a classic

#2 Post by admin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Just saw it in the latest issue - a good idea, but i'm not sure the powers that be will go for it. It's certainly worth a try though, and well worth highlighting here. i hope that many users here will add their support. We all know that reshelling takes place (indeed this is why i decided not to pursue my Vitesse convertible project, despite having found a sound replacement chassis). I would not have been able to write that i replaced the rotten chassis with a secondhand replacement in the magazine, as the DVLA would have stripped the car of its identity (at least, or pursued me legally at worst).

This is why i had to get rid (I can't comment on what the guy who bought it plans were... ;) ) I decided that if i couldn't write about it in the magazine, i wouldn't continue with the project (even if i did it anyway on the sly and claimed I'd repaired the old one in print i wouldn't have felt easy about lying to readers of the mag - which i hasten to add, i wouldn't do).

We had a case of this last year - a chap paid someone to restore his Vitesse which had a rotten chassis. As the chassis on these cars is simply a part (like a door skin) and contains no stampings or chassis numbers the restorer did what many people would do and found a better one on which to rebuild the car (much like reskinning a rotten door or fitting a new wing). Unfortunately, he did things by the book and informed the DVLA, who issued the car with an age related plate for his trouble...

The restorer did the right thing, legally, by the book, yet the owner and the car no longer has the registration it was originally issued with (not a cherished number btw, just an ordinary reg plate) and the car has lost a valuable part of its history as a result. Madness!

Gary Stretton

#3 Post by Gary Stretton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks Neil,

Reception to the proposal behind the scenes has been positive and I hope momentum will continue to build.

I'm aware of your Vitesse scenario, having encountered it many times over the years in our line of work.
The implications of not changing the law could see future classics dwindle to insignificance.
Meanwhile, uneconomical restorations will see yet more classics disappear and unloved variants in otherwise good condition (aka potential donors) will be scrapped too.

All the best,
Gary

dannyhopkins

#4 Post by dannyhopkins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks Gary

I shall be signing it and I will urge others to. Nice one Gary. Let's hope it gets the same level of recognition at the DVLA as the recent campaign to save our right to re-engine our classics. The creeping rule changes have been stopped by mass lobbying and words behind closed doors at Westminster - the level of support was phenomenal. We should be safe from draconian legislation for some time to come now. As for re-shelling... there are possible implications for special builders here too. I shall, with Gary's permission, bring the subject up at Parliament when I go to see Greg Knight MP next week. In the mean time - I shall sign.

Danny Hopkins, Editor PC
1970 ROVER P6B 3500
1971 JENSEN INTERCEPTOR II\
1971 MORRIS MINOR TRAVELLER
1994 JAGUAR XJ6 3.2S

Gary Stretton

#5 Post by Gary Stretton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks Danny,

Both Greg Knight and Transport Minister Mike Penning have been made aware of the campaign by myself.
As with any new idea to an old problem, some digesting and discussion will be necessary, naturally.

For now I'm keen to build awareness and momentum for the proposal amongst enthusiasts everywhere.
I look forward to seeing your name on the petition.

All the best,
Gary

dannyhopkins

#6 Post by dannyhopkins » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks Gary

And you are welcome on this forum at any time.

Danny
1970 ROVER P6B 3500
1971 JENSEN INTERCEPTOR II\
1971 MORRIS MINOR TRAVELLER
1994 JAGUAR XJ6 3.2S

Luxobarge

#7 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:49 pm

You two - get a room! ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.