My new car!!!!!!!!!

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
s-type

Re: My new car!!!!!!!!!

#21 Post by s-type » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm

TerryG wrote:I think this is the right part for that lump http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Jaguar-electronic ... 0590484634
give the seller a ring, he has electronic igniton kits for everything and seems to know his stuff.
It must be worth a £30 investment to know that the ignition system is good (and will never need adjusting again!) Even if it is only to let your Jag escape.
Cheers, I will check out the Lucas part number, I forgot about that! DOH! I don't mind points, it condensers that p155 me off!!! I am off to get a mate with a van!

JPB, the difference is you dad was right!!!!! :lol: ( ;) )

I opened the coffin again today, it seems to have a aluminium box inside the wooden one, there is full (creepy) padded lining in the top but nothing on the bottom, apart from what looks like saw dust (embalming filler?) and bits of card (wrist holders?) and paper (embalming paperwork)... There are locks top and bottom that the coffin key seems to fit. The smell from inside the coffin was like very strong wood, slight musty and possibly the stagnant smell of death... :? When I can get enough people willing to touch it, I will take it out and post some photos.
Then it started to get dark and I lost my nerve, I am OK in the day, but not at night... I sh1t you not, an owl hooted and that was it, i sprinted away.

and finally the coach builder is Thomas Startin (Ironc ey? as it wont start) Jnr and Sons.

This page says;
http://www.myds420.info/hearses.html
The most important hearse coach builders for the DS420 were:
Thomas Startin Jr.
Based in Birmingham, Thomas Startin was another famous hearse builder on DS420 chassis. The current successor company (Startin Motor Group, Worcester) is not involved in hearse production anymore.
So that's nice to know. :D
1967 S-type Jaguar -Running like a dream.
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

TerryG

#22 Post by TerryG » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 pm

The reason i went to electronic ignition on my mog was the lack of avalibility of capasitors that lasted longer than a few months. it now starts and idles beautifully plus i don't have to carry a spare cap or 2 in the glove box! (At least i won't when i get it sprayed and MOTd)
Where abouts in the world are you hiding? If you aren't too far i'll come and help move your coffin.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

s-type

#23 Post by s-type » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:16 am

TerryG wrote:The reason i went to electronic ignition on my mog was the lack of avalibility of capasitors that lasted longer than a few months. it now starts and idles beautifully plus i don't have to carry a spare cap or 2 in the glove box! (At least i won't when i get it sprayed and MOTd)
Where abouts in the world are you hiding? If you aren't too far i'll come and help move your coffin.

That’s a good idea, I don’t get how these (cheaper) new systems work, i understood the old optronic luminition (£200) things with the paddle and the photo cell? But these new ones are even more basic?

I am in Newbury Berkshire. Don’t worry its a long way to come, I hope to get some help this weekend, although if I cant get it running I’ll be happy to see you!!!!
1971 DS420 Hearse. -Now actually running and has just run a 16.7 Quarter Mile @ Santa Pod. - bloody hell!

Oh and your 1995 Volvo is not a classic. Still think it is? Take it to a classic car show.....

TerryG

#24 Post by TerryG » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 am

There is a ring with magnets in it that slips over the distributor shaft and a sensor that is positioned near to it on the mounting for the points that senses when the magnets pass by tripping a relay that works like the points.
The optronic system has a laser that shines through a ring if blades that block the laser as each lobe passes tripping a relay.....
Or that is my understanding anyway.

Luxobarge

#25 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 pm

TerryG wrote:The optronic system has a laser that shines through a ring if blades that block the laser as each lobe passes tripping a relay.....
I believe it's an LED or even an infra-red beam, I'm sure it's not a laser. And it doesn't trip a relay in the conventional sense, it switches a transistor - the whole thing is solid state, which is it's appeal for me. Same basic principle as you outlined though.....

I have one on the Midget - brilliant bit of kit, runs superbly and never had a moment's bother with it in the 12 years its been fitted.

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#26 Post by Mrotwoman » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 pm

That's completely crap S-type.

Well done,I love it! :lol:
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

s-type

#27 Post by s-type » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 pm

Mrotwoman wrote:That's completely crap S-type.

Well done,I love it! :lol:
Err thanks... I think! :lol:

So its my daughters first birthday party tomorrow at 2pm. We have 20 odd guests coming, there is currently a hearse stuck on the drive. No one can get on or off. If I could move it we could get 3 cars on there as well.
I have about 2-3 hours to get it running tomorrow morning and get it shifted or the family attending the party will be helping me push a 3 tonne hearse on gravel, so they can park. :oops: :o :lol:

JPB

#28 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Sounds to me like a recipe for a colossal success on youtube. Get them a-pushin' and get thee a-filmin'. :mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#29 Post by TerryG » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:13 am

Is it embarasing that i'm 28, have an A-Level in electronics and couldn't remember the word for transistor?

JPB

#30 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:52 am

TerryG wrote:Is it embarasing that i'm 28, have an A-Level in electronics and couldn't remember the word for transistor?
Yes.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: