Historic vehicle registration changes in Australia

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
bnicho

Historic vehicle registration changes in Australia

#1 Post by bnicho » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:30 am

The 1st of February marked a happy day for classic car owners in my home state of Victoria, Australia.

For many years we have had two choices of registration for cars over 25 years old:
1. Full Registration at the full rate.
2. "Club Permit" or "Historic" registration.

Option 2 - Club Permit - is only $110.00 a year, as opposed to $560.00 odd for full rego. But previoulsy it came with major restrictions:
- You could only take it on events organised and published in the calendar of an authorised club of which you are a paid up member, OR
- You could get a "Special Use Permit" in advance from the club secretary to use the car for a non-club event. For example taking it to a mechanic or a family wedding. Usually that involved attending the monthly club meet beforehand to get the permit.

Essentially you could never just decide to use your "Club Permit" registered classics on the spur of the moment for your own pleasure. You had to plan up to a month ahead if it was non-club event.

However, on February 1st, new laws for Club Permit came into effect. Now each car is issued with a log book which must be filled out for each day the car is driven. But each journey can be for anything, no more restrictions. :D

Every car already on this registration was issued with a 90 day log book, effective to the next renewal date. At next renewal the owner can choose a 90 day or 45 day log book. The 90 day is the same price as before, the 45 day is a little over half. If you use up the 45 day book you can buy another 45 days for the same cost. A fantastic system!

The interesting part is that 4 classics on 90 day log books gives you 360 days of motoring, for around $150 less cost than one car on full registration. Or you could have five classics for around the cost of one full registration. :D

The only real disadvantage is you have to have dark red numberplates that end with a H. But original plates are not such a big deal in Aus.

I already have my Moke, Corona and MR2 on Club Permit and I'm considering switching the Beetle as well. :)

Cheers,
Brett.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

MG Mal

Re: Historic vehicle registration changes in Australia

#2 Post by MG Mal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:19 am

Thats Great News!.

Maybe they have realised that the classic car movement over there is growing, and that the companies that support it such as suppliers etc, will benefit from an "Unrestricted" usage Bill?.

After all, if the classic car world in Australia gets bigger ,then thats more revenue for the Gov't through service tax's etc that are added to parts prices and such.

Mal.

Martin Evans

#3 Post by Martin Evans » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am

Is that a state rule or a countrywide rule :?: How devolved is government in Australia :?:
Rules exist for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

MG Midget 1500, MGB GT V8, Morris Minor Traveller 1275, MG Midget 1275 & too many bicycles.

bnicho

#4 Post by bnicho » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 pm

This is a Victoria only change. I suppose you could call vehicle registration laws here devolved.

Each state can make their own laws on areas not covered by Federal laws. For example new car standards (emissions, crash testing etc) are controlled by federal law, but vehicle registration is not. Each state differs on things like registration inspection requirements and historic vehicle schemes.

South Australia already has a similar log-book scheme to the Victorian one. New South Wales is apparently considering it. I'm not sure of the status in the other states.

I'm not sure if the Victorian government has worked out yet they will probably lose revenue, as people like me stop paying full price for registration on multiple vehicles. :)

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder