Pre-purchase inspection services?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
OneCarefulOwner

Pre-purchase inspection services?

#1 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:21 am

I'm looking at buying a 20 year old luxury car to be my new motorway muncher. I've already seen it myself & I believe that, should it all be in working order, it's worth the money - but I've thought that a lot recently & been disappointed too often.

Does anyone know of someone reliable I could get to give the car a good going over? Experience with Japanese cars, Toyotas etc., a distinct advantage. I'm not in the AA or RAC, so I'm not sure I can call on their services…

The car's near Emsworth, which is along the A27 between Chichester & Havant.
…that's why Allegro will look as good 5 years from now as it does today.
If I was allowed a sigpic, this would be it
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

JPB

Re: Pre-purchase inspection services?

#2 Post by JPB » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:33 pm

Can't speak for the RAC, but the AA would carry out an inspection for a non-subscriber, albeit at a slightly higher cost. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

OneCarefulOwner

#3 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Hm, useful to know. Thanks!
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

suffolkpete

#4 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:40 pm

If there is an owners' club for your chosen model, why not ask them. Most classics have their little weaknesses and I'm not sure an AA/RAC inspector more used to modern vehicles would be able to spot them. I've never used their services though, so I may be doing them an injustice.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

suffolkpete

#5 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 pm

I've moved this topic because the Classic Friendly Garages section is really for people to recommend establishments they've used.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#6 Post by Mrotwoman » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 pm

Is it an old LS 400 ?
If so, 8-)
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

jimmyybob

#7 Post by jimmyybob » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 pm

When i was in the trade we always use to dread an AA inspection on one of our cars,not because they were bad but because they were so damn thorough (at least the guy we had always was) every annoying little thing was picked up on.

This just my experience of one particular AA guy im not saying they are all as good but if you dont know what your doing it could be a money saver in the end.
Always always get your own HPI check done do not rely on a sellers copy of an HPI they 'claim' to have had done.

http://www.theaa.com/vehicle-inspections/index.html

OneCarefulOwner

#8 Post by OneCarefulOwner » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm

pete - thanks, and apologies for putting this in the wrong place originally.
mrotwoman - yes, yes it is. 8-)
jimmyy - no HPI required, the car has a unique & certifiable provenance. I've never done an HPI actually... It's more of a "young car" thing isn't it?

I've gone with the closest marque main dealer to the vendor, they doing the same 120-point inspection that they would do on any car they expected to sell as Approved Used; they're quite excited about it, too :) The report's due on Tuesday!
Twitter | Blog | DropBox

suffolkpete

#9 Post by suffolkpete » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:54 pm

OneCarefulOwner wrote:pete - thanks, and apologies for putting this in the wrong place originally.
You're welcome, I think there tends to be a better response to this sort of query in the chat section anyway. Good luck with your prospective purchase, I'm sure we're all dying to know how you get on.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#10 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:19 pm

I've gone with the closest marque main dealer to the vendor, they doing the same 120-point inspection that they would do on any car they expected to sell as Approved Used;
Jeez,that must cost almost as much as the car ! :shock:

I'm not being funny but...even good ones are pretty damn cheap ,as nice as they are,why not just cross your fingers and take a punt ?

Worked for me so far :oops:
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.