What constitutes a classic?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
mr rusty
Location: Harlow, the birthplace of fibreoptic communication, as the town sign says.

Re: What constitutes a classic?

#71 Post by mr rusty » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 pm

So would my old 1956 Austin A35 be a classic?
I mean, it's old, but was it all that great? Good, long running engine, but the car was outsold by the Minor....
- of course it's a classic! Plenty of motorsport pedigree andJames Hunt's daily drive 8-)
1968 Triumph Vitesse Mk1 2 litre convertible, Junior Miss rusty has a 1989 998cc Mk2 Metro, Mrs Rusty has a modern common rail diesel thing.

tractorman

#72 Post by tractorman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 am

I wonder if some of the problem is that cars are lasting longer now? Where, twenty years ago, it was rare to see a sixties car, especially in good condition, we can now see a car from the nineties that's almost perfect and has had no welding etc. OK, scrappage has taken many, but there are still enough out there to make people think they are just "another old car".

My 2002 Golf, although nowhere near a classic, still looks in "as new" condition from a few feet. It certainly isn't fussed over (washed last month!) and shows various scratches when you get close, but there have only been two rust marks (must remember to sort the second one - I saw it last time I washed it). Whereas Father's last car, a '72 Maxi, had had wings and sills fitted before we bought it in 1980 - and it was supposed to be in good condition!

Remember, we have an interest in old vehicles - there are probably far more who don't, and they don't see a difference between an old car and a classic, so most of us just drive old vehicles (probably because we can't afford anything better!) as far as they are concerned. Show them "Inspector Morse's car" and they may thing that's a classic - even if they don't know what model it is!

TWOTENS

#73 Post by TWOTENS » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:18 pm

I don't think that there is a problem. There will always be those who think that you are bonkers for even contemplating renovating and running an old car, there will be those who admire your individuality and skill and a whole lot more who are totally indifferent. If it floats your boat, you should go for it, whether its thirties, fifties, seventies, or whatever. The stuff that we sometimes attribute questionable status to, the seventies and eighties stuff, will be classics one day, if they are not already, if only due to rarity value and we should as a movement, be encouraging people to cherish and restore cars from that era to avoid the loss of a generation of motor cars.
As far as modern cars go, technology will always be the limiting factor, and the fact that a new ABS unit may be worth more than the rest of the car put together will one day be a test of an enthusisasts determination to preserve the current generation of cars.

admin
Site Admin

#74 Post by admin » Tue May 03, 2011 2:59 pm

There's a simple answer to the what constitutes a classic in my eyes: Whatever i own is a classic, whatever you own isn't (unless it's what i own too). That seems to be the way it works in my experience ;)

rich.

#75 Post by rich. » Tue May 03, 2011 3:23 pm

admin wrote:There's a simple answer to the what constitutes a classic in my eyes: Whatever i own is a classic, whatever you own isn't (unless it's what i own too). That seems to be the way it works in my experience ;)
go on buy a micra....... please ;)

TriumphDriver

#76 Post by TriumphDriver » Tue May 03, 2011 8:31 pm

admin wrote:There's a simple answer to the what constitutes a classic in my eyes: Whatever i own is a classic, whatever you own isn't (unless it's what i own too). That seems to be the way it works in my experience ;)
Sadly this also appears to be the view of some who attend shows round where I live. It may be three months old with less than 500 miles on the clock but it was expensive and I want to show it off, so it's going to your Classic show whether you like it or not. By the way, have you heard the sound system? You will. :D
My posts are for debate and discussion, I'm not The Oracle!

bnicho

#77 Post by bnicho » Wed May 04, 2011 2:12 am

The organisers of the main Classic Car show on the Victorian calendar (Hanging Rock) faced exactly this dilemma. They were allowing in anything "interesting, old, rare or just strange" which was a bit subjective. People enter stock standard five year old Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores with maybe a set of alloys. The sort of cars you can find in any supermarket carpark or dealer's lot here.

Many of these late model cars were sporting "For Sale" signs and were clearly only there to sell them.

It got to become a bit of a joke and something had to be done!

Now the organisers have taken on the VicRoads definition of a classic (ie: old enough for Historic rego). From next year the cars must be 25+ years to enter. There has been a royal outcry from some of the clubs/forums about it, but at least it is a hard-and-fast rule everyone can understand.

Not that I am advocating a 25+ year rule for here!!
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Rhythm Thief

#78 Post by Rhythm Thief » Wed May 04, 2011 5:45 am

TriumphDriver wrote:By the way, have you heard the sound system? You will. :D
There's nowt wrong with having a good sound system in your car, though. My Ami (45 years old) has a 600 watt amp mated to a MASSIVE bass box and a pair of smaller speakers. The sound is great and the wingmirrors vibrate with the bass at full welly. Later this year I'll be 40. :D

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#79 Post by Mrotwoman » Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 am

Now that's Gangsta 8-)
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

TerryG

#80 Post by TerryG » Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 am

[quote="Rhythm Thief] There's nowt wrong with having a good sound system in your car, though. My Ami (45 years old) has a 600 watt amp mated to a MASSIVE bass box and a pair of smaller speakers. The sound is great and the wingmirrors vibrate with the bass at full welly. Later this year I'll be 40. :D[/quote]

I always find it funny when the local "entertainers" drive past in their cars with HUGE stereos up so loud every pannel on the car is rattling. there is a golf GTI around the corner that sounds like it's going to shake apart when it's owner goes past with his "choonz" playing
In my RR i have replaced all the factory speakers as they were knackered and fitted a different speaker in the factory sub box and a 240watt amp. It gives a nice balanced sound, no need to wake up the neighbours to enjoy good music.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.