What constitutes a classic?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
Morrisand944S2man

Re: What constitutes a classic?

#121 Post by Morrisand944S2man » Fri May 06, 2011 12:47 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Morrisand944S2man wrote:Sorry, Luxo, but you don't know what you are talking about as regards the Porsche 944!
Are you blind?

I made the word "Opinion" as easy to see as possible, yet you still seem to have missed it.

It's my opinion, not a fact, just an opinion, and as such cannot be said to be wrong. I find your attitude quite insulting, please do not tell people they "don't know what they are talking about" when they express an opinion.

You would do well and gain more friends on here if you expressed your opinions as such, and not constantly force them down our throats as facts. They are not facts, they are your opinions, and as such are therefore as worthless as mine or anybody else's on here. In your opinion the 944 is a great car. In mine it's not. Live with it!
No, I am not blind- is that some weak attempt at an insult??

Yes, you have an "opinion" which you are welcome to, but in the case of the Porsche 944 it is clearly an incorrect opinion. Therefore, you are mis-informed. I have owned a 944 S2 for over 15 years and I know a lot about these cars. All "opinions" are NOT equally valid!! Some are based on knowledge and experience and some based on what the opinion holder "read in a magazine". Clearly the person who has direct knowledge and experience of a subject has a valid "opinion" and the person who's "opinion" is based on heresay and second hand knowledge does not. Informed "opinion" IS fact, mis-informed "opinion" is just plain wrong!!

My "opinions" are shared by many other people (who also long ago stopped buying PC magazine, and are based on good information and knowledge and experience. I have thought long and hard about this.

BTW, I didn't come here to "make friends", I came here to voice my views (and the views of many others!) on the Practical Classics forum in the hope that the magazine might take note as to how to improve their magazine and thereby halt the decline in sales.
Last edited by Morrisand944S2man on Fri May 06, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luxobarge

#122 Post by Luxobarge » Fri May 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Morrisand944S2man wrote:Yes, you have an "opinion" which you are welcome to, but in the case of the Porsche 944 it is clearly an incorrect opinion. Therefore, you are mis-informed.
You clearly don't understand what an "opinion" is, there's no such thing as an incorrect opinion on a subjective issue, just one that you disagree with.
Morrisand944S2man wrote:BTW, I didn't come here to "make friends"
Mission accomplished
Morrisand944S2man wrote:I came here to voice my views (and the views of many others!) on the Practical Classics forum in the hope that the magazine might take note as to how to improve their magazine and thereby halt the decline in sales.
Then I suggest you send your suggestions directly to the magazine. This forum has no direct connection with the magazine, so your efforts are likely to be fruitless.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Morrisand944S2man

#123 Post by Morrisand944S2man » Fri May 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Please see above, Luxo- I have edited my post on "opinions".

All "opinions" are clearly NOT equal and clearly NOT equally valid.

And this argument ceases to be a subjective issue if one logic to proper facts.

EricTheRed

#124 Post by EricTheRed » Fri May 06, 2011 12:56 pm

Morrisand944S2man wrote:
A 944 is definitely an emerging classic as it was a great car in it's day. The engineering gave 50/50 weight distribution and brilliant handling, then or now. Plus the engines, biggest 4-cylinder at the time and with belt driven balance shafts uncannily smooth for a 2.5 or 3l 4-cylinder, and lots of torque! Plus the unusual transaxle transmission which gave the 50/50 weight.
Plus the excellent styling, which originated in the 924 was coped by two decades of Japanese coupes. The 944 and 924 are also great enjoyable cars to drive and suffer little from rust (galvanised bodywork) compared to their contemporaries. (such as 80's and 90's Jap coupes. Fuel economy is unbelievable- for a performance car. I have achieved 36mpg on a run- amazing on a 3,0L petrol engine. Practicality as well, with the rear seats folded you can get a lot of luggage or other items in a 944. Truly a brilliant design now, a special car then and now.
Having owned two 944s I have to totally agree with you there! (Although I don't understand your use of the word "emerging")

(I also agree with your criteria for what constitutes a classic but find the whole debate too boring to join in. The fact that PC features cars that I don't consider to be classics doesn't worry me at all).

Luxobarge

#125 Post by Luxobarge » Fri May 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Morrisand944S2man wrote:All "opinions" are clearly NOT equal and clearly NOT equally valid.
OK, let's get the views of the other forum members: who else on here thinks that Morris man's opinions are more valid than anybody else's on this subject?

:lol: :lol:
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

rich.

#126 Post by rich. » Fri May 06, 2011 1:02 pm

can someone lock this thread, its going round in circles and getting very very dull..its been argued over for years and acheives nothing..
its a nice old car. end of...
ps his opinions are less valid than mine :lol: :lol:
Last edited by rich. on Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luxobarge

#127 Post by Luxobarge » Fri May 06, 2011 1:03 pm

rich. wrote:can someone lock this thread,
It's coming soon..... ;)

rich.

#128 Post by rich. » Fri May 06, 2011 1:04 pm

thanks mate..

Luxobarge

#129 Post by Luxobarge » Fri May 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Yeah, I think that's quite enough. Time this topic went the way it always does......

Now people, let's not raise this issue anywhere else on the forum eh? Thanks!