Learning about Classic Cars

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
GenuinelyLAS

Learning about Classic Cars

#1 Post by GenuinelyLAS » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:46 pm

Afternoon all, I hope everyone is well!

My name's Luke and in essence, the world of classic cars is one I know very little about!

Having not experienced them through family members and being in my mid 20's living in London where new, big and/or electric seems to be all that is on the menu; it's something I'm really interested to learn more about. I have a small youtube channel where I've made a video starting to document what I'm learning, (link below), but ultimately I'd really love to hear any suggestions on where I could go, what I could do or who I could talk to that would help me learn a little bit more!

https://youtu.be/DiRS40G7EBw?si=L--898tbe6sLSU7o

Any feedback would also be greatly appreciated!

suffolkpete

Re: Learning about Classic Cars

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:19 pm

My advice would be to visit as many classic car shows as you can and talk to the owners of any vehicles that take your fancy. Most owners love to talk about their vehicles, so you can learn a lot and have a few enjoyable days out into the bargain.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Dick

#3 Post by Dick » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:59 pm

Welcome! Pete is right about car shows 99% of people will love to chat about their cars.. if you're in the forest of Dean on Easter Monday its the Coleford festival of transport. Lovely little show friendly atmosphere with great people..

GenuinelyLAS

#4 Post by GenuinelyLAS » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:20 am

suffolkpete wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:19 pm
My advice would be to visit as many classic car shows as you can and talk to the owners of any vehicles that take your fancy. Most owners love to talk about their vehicles, so you can learn a lot and have a few enjoyable days out into the bargain.
Thank you for this, It is something I can definitely do, I appreciate it!

Dick

#5 Post by Dick » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:29 am

I'd also recommend a subscription to practical classics magazine. Full of good advice and pictures of cars to enjoy
There is a Facebook page if you want a taste of what is available