What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TerryG

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#301 Post by TerryG » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm not stuck in the golf, I am looking for someone that is prepared to sell me the sound deadening from behind the dash of a car they are breaking. its a bugger to get out so not worth it unless you already have the dash and heater boxes out
I have everything else ready to put in then I can sell it and get it out of the way!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#302 Post by JPB » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:01 am

It satisfies me - and I surprise myself by admitting this - to learn that you've saved this Golf from the crusher, please may we see more on the car's progress when you have the time to update its thread? Good luck with finding the sound deadening stuff, at least these are still a plentiful car in breakers' yards so someone, somewhere must have what you're after.
:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#303 Post by GHT » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:48 am

JPB wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:01 am
It satisfies me - and I surprise myself by admitting this - to learn that you've saved this Golf from the crusher, please may we see more on the car's progress when you have the time to update its thread?
What is it about The Golf? Our runaround is a 1998 Golf, it's boring to look at, doesn't excite you to drive and it doesn't exactly hold it's value. I bought it when the series 2 Beamer started producing halitosis curing bills (they took my breath away.) It was about 15 months old at the time. It does do what it says on the tin. It's extremely reliable, fuel frugal, insurance is less than £200 and it's always started first time. I guess sharing a garage with a cosseted MG helps, but as a good looking car goes, well no owner of a fine rack has ever put her head through the car window and said: "Nice wheels mister."
Mk 4 Golf.jpg
Mk 4 Golf.jpg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 5368 times

JPB

#305 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Rich, it's a complete dog! I saw that one back when I was after a five bearing A series derivative with automatic gearbox for the Minor. The fella who had it at the time (before June 2015 as that was when I bought the old Corolla) wasn't planning to do the welding as it was - in his words - too far gone and had sod all decent steel left to weld the many required repairs onto. It has no wing rails, the outer wings being attached perilously by the remains of the rails at either end of each inner wing. The sills and floor pans are solidly constructed out of the sort of pitch that would keep my kitchen roof dry for the next fifty years, but this could be applied over paper for all I know since the entire bottom six inches of the car has only that thick pitch visible. The front suspension turrets are sound between each front leg and the gusset that attaches the top plate to the inner wing, but sadly, where the turrets attach to the legs (both sides), the legs have been patched below the inner edge of that turret without the legs having been reattached to the inner wings, other than with yet more lashings of pitch.

If there were more metal in the shell, then the car might have some value, as it is at least it should be easy to tear up and throw, piece by piece, into the fire!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#306 Post by rich. » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm

JPB wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Rich, it's a complete dog!
your a hard man to please john! :o i looked everywhere for one of those when you were on your mission to build the ultimate minor, now ive finally found one you think its a bit rusty.. no pleasing some folk :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
have you bought that prairie yet mate :scared:

JPB

#307 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 pm

No Prairie has entered my life as yet, but a suitable one would be considered along with the (probably more realistic as a prospect) Reliant Metro Cab and the Fridolin, an example of which may yet drop out of the sky at a sensible price and in rust free, turnkey condition. Fingers crossed & all that, hope is still afloat!

PS: I'm not interested in any other Reliant products than the taxi at this time. ;)
J

GHT

#308 Post by GHT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:12 pm

rich. wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm
have you bought that prairie yet mate :scared:
Please. please. don't tell me that Rich means this?"
eye bleach.jpg
eye bleach.jpg (30.94 KiB) Viewed 5326 times

JPB

#309 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 pm

:lol:

No, not that one. It's 700 miles away and it's a manual, but you have the general idea, GHT.
I expect some of your finest quality abuse about this, so don't you dare hold back now! :P
J

GHT

#310 Post by GHT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:16 pm

JPB wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 pm
:lol:

No, not that one. It's 700 miles away and it's a manual, but you have the general idea, GHT.
I expect some of your finest quality abuse about this, so don't you dare hold back now! :P
Back in the 80's we had a Talbot Rancho, :oops: our new neighbours were an amazing crowd. He was an ophthalmologist, who had worked all over Europe. His wife was a Dutch national. His work had taken him and his family to Germany, Italy, Spain and France. The parents and all four kids spoke fluent English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish and Italian. The car that they had was a Prairie, LHD, having previously lived in France.

The kids loved the Rancho, calling it a jsheep. You have to try and say sh & j at the same time to get the accent. The one thing that the Rancho was good for, was a donor battery to start the Prairie. The Rancho had starting problems of it's own. 99 times out of a 100 it started, but when you needed it most it wouldn't budge. Out of frustration, I tried hot wiring it, and what do you know, away it went. I showed my wife how to do it. Collecting the car from service, she had complained and complained about the Rancho's dead spot, explaining to them what I had done. Instead of fixing the problem, in truth, they didn't know why, they fixed a terminal for easy access for my wife to just hot wire it.

Our new neighbour knocked on the door. "The Prairie won't start." My missus went out and The Rancho wouldn't start. She lifted the bonnet, turned on the ignition and touched the new terminal. The engine coughed into life. "Oh wow," exclaimed our neighbour, can I come stealing cars with you. My missus explained how I had taught her and how the garage made it easy, so my neighbour, tried the trick on the Prairie. There was one almighty bang and that was the end of the Prairie. (serves it right,) what a bland, boring and banal car that was. But they were the best neighbours that we've ever had. The kids were just amazing and great fun for a childless couple like us.