What would you buy & why?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
JPB

Re: Yet another "what should I buy next?" type of thread..

#101 Post by JPB » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 pm

:shock: Oh dear!

Give that nasty thing to GHT and find me an Allegro! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#102 Post by GHT » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 am

JPB wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Give that nasty thing to GHT
I've got another nasty thing you can have. A Chinese MG, this concept looks like making it into production.
flying mg.jpg
flying mg.jpg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

JPB

#103 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:06 am

:thumbs: :drool: :drool: :drool:

;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

GHT

#104 Post by GHT » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:12 pm

You're winding me up John, even the MG badge has lost it's octagon and become a roundel. One thing you might like though, I'm told that it goes like stink.
fart.jpg
fart.jpg (105.23 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

JPB

#105 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:40 pm

I take it that there's no point in expressing my love for the new MG off road machine either? It looks quite, erm, fit for purpose:

Oh wait, that comes with a 1 litre, three cylinder engine similar to the one found in current Ford Focuses and Transits, to name but two victims of this technology. Now I'm all for kissing trees or helping a dolphin to make an ATM withdrawal, but pray do tell, what possible use is an agricultural vehicle with such a teeny weeny engine? Farmers won't buy that, it would pull four boards at best and that would mean that ploughing just one field could take all day.

Not that it's any use to me, look how far you need to step up to get inside and once you're in there, chances are it'll be just as uncomfortable as any other modern 4x4. What a waste of space, shoot the thing!
:evil:
Unless they plan to make a version whose floor is about four inches lower, but with the same seat and roof height, then I'd have found a match.
Except that the plan is to buy another old car.. :lol:
J

megadethmaniac

#106 Post by megadethmaniac » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:54 pm

sorry 1000cc 3 pot motors should be consigned to microcars and at worst super minis.

Would hate to think what life expectancy would be like for them motors... think that they may make 100k - I doubt it

JPB

#107 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:26 pm

Sadly, I suspect that it won't matter if one of these newfangled small engine/big car combinations only lasts for 100K as the complexity of its wiring will probably kill it long before it gets that far. ;) I know some who swear by their "Ecoboost" Fords, but I know many more who swear at them!
On the other hand though, engines are built to ever tighter tolerances and oils have improved massively over the past couple of decades so maybe, just maybe they'll surprise us with their durability?
Then again, maybe they won't, dealers make a fair old chunk of their income from the personal finance end of the trade and this is more or less a constant as more and more people want to be seen in new cars but don't want the hassle of owning them once they reach the end of their finance period, so rather than pay a balance, they send their cars back and take on another finance plan, and so it goes.
J

GHT

#108 Post by GHT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 am

JPB wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:40 pm
Oh wait, that comes with a 1 litre, three cylinder engine similar to the one found in current Ford Focuses and Transits, to name but two victims of this technology. Now I'm all for kissing trees or helping a dolphin to make an ATM withdrawal, but pray do tell, what possible use is an agricultural vehicle with such a teeny weeny engine? Farmers won't buy that, it would pull four boards at best and that would mean that ploughing just one field could take all day.
SAIC have taken note of your criticism and have come up with a new off-roader:
off roader.jpg
off roader.jpg (170.02 KiB) Viewed 1896 times
And here is the sports version:
chariot.jpg
chariot.jpg (105.64 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

JPB

#110 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:30 am

I have to admit that the S-Cargo appeals for the same reasons as my daily JDM device does, but it's a bit too new although old enough for the shows. Anyway, it's not on the road and ready to use and I can't be arsed with a fixer-upper.
I don't particularly like the customised Royce, but I do like the fact that someone did that to it. It takes large cahones to create something so in yer face as that, and sure enough, if we look at the front seat base cushions, they have a specially raised piece to support those very cahones comfortably and without the strain associated with seats that lack such a platform for the occupant's man-sprouts. Actually, the longer I look at that car, the more respect I'm finding for it but I suspect that its hobby, were it to have one, would be bullying the mpvs in its local AsDa car park into handing over their dinner money. I think it's worth maybe £6295 on a good day and must only be on the 'bay at that silly price because the owner doesn't really want to flog it.
:scared:

GHT, thanks, I love a good horse or multiple thereof, but they don't come with decent heaters as standard and their seats aren't the most comfortable. Thinking about it, why do we sit on horses nowadays? There's an alternative - with an engine - for pretty much everything that horses used to do so I say we should stop sitting on these lovely creatures and keep them as pets instead.
J