What constitutes a classic?

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
rich.

Re: What constitutes a classic?

#91 Post by rich. » Wed May 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Mrotwoman wrote:
TriumphDriver wrote:

Thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa..

Thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa thumpa...
I've got that,but I prefer the dubstep mix.

i had a car like that once, trip to the scrappy sorted it out...

Rhythm Thief

#92 Post by Rhythm Thief » Wed May 04, 2011 3:30 pm

That's the whole point of a loud stereo. Gearbox whine? Big end knock? Wheel bearing grumble? All fixed with the judicious application of 600 watt Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. :D

JPB

#93 Post by JPB » Wed May 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Rhythm Thief wrote:.....Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. :D
8-)

Works for me. Brilliant choice. Classic? Hell yeah.
If I had such serious tune-making kit in the Dolly, I think that Captain Beefheart would have to be somewhere in there too, in among the Rock Steady, ska and classic reggae tunes that occupy the other end of my personal spectrum of taste.
But hey-ho, my '70s Sharp radio/cassette player - top of the range, it's even got that newfangled VHF/FM band - is still sitting on the kitchen table waiting patiently for its turn at the top of the car-related to do list. :ugeek:

:lol: @Morrisand944S2man: How many women called Neil do you know? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#94 Post by rich. » Wed May 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Rhythm Thief wrote:That's the whole point of a loud stereo. Gearbox whine? Big end knock? Wheel bearing grumble? All fixed with the judicious application of 600 watt Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. :D
i couldnt hear the radio in mine :D

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#95 Post by Mrotwoman » Wed May 04, 2011 5:26 pm

I like women who kneel,but that's another story.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

stagman

#96 Post by stagman » Wed May 04, 2011 6:18 pm

bnicho wrote:Now the organisers have taken on the VicRoads definition of a classic (ie: old enough for Historic rego). From next year the cars must be 25+ years to enter. There has been a royal outcry from some of the clubs/forums about it, but at least it is a hard-and-fast rule everyone can understand. [/b]
I come up against this a few times over here where they only want pre '72 on the same basis - to me it seems a bit unfair to not let in my 1977 Stag :( but I suppose there has to be some sort of cut off

Aar0sc

#97 Post by Aar0sc » Wed May 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Mrotwoman wrote:Oh Mr Morrisand944S2man,I doth apologise for I have seen the error of my ways and am sending my lowly,humble,unworthy and horribly beige Maestro to the crusher.
For it matters not that it hath survived 27 years in as new condition,manages to obtain 50+ mpg on a recent economy run,can happily be pressed into service as a daily hack for my other half when the daily driver is broken,brings back many a memory for folk at shows etc etc ,it is dull and unremarkable and therefore must die.

I shall replace it with a front-engined Porker and together we can live in our compound and preach to the great unwashed,and bask in the praise of Allah! the almighty one.

Death to all infidels who dare drive Allegros! :mrgreen:
Respec'd :D

Wasn't the 944 the one that tried to replace the 911 and failed anyway?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

Luxobarge

#98 Post by Luxobarge » Wed May 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Aar0sc wrote:Wasn't the 944 the one that tried to replace the 911 and failed anyway?
No, that was the 928.

Never seen anything particularly special about the 944 myself, but that's just

an opinion!!!

As is everything else on this thread.

;) ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Grumpy Northener

#99 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed May 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Mrotwoman wrote
Oh Mr Morrisand944S2man,I doth apologise for I have seen the error of my ways and am sending my lowly,humble,unworthy and horribly beige Maestro to the crusher.
For it matters not that it hath survived 27 years in as new condition,manages to obtain 50+ mpg on a recent economy run,can happily be pressed into service as a daily hack for my other half when the daily driver is broken,brings back many a memory for folk at shows etc etc ,it is dull and unremarkable and therefore must die.
Mrotwoman I have some real sad news - speaking to Mr Scrappy R Us on your behalf and he states that the UK Meastro quota for scrappage is over subscribed and the EU is threating to come down hard on the UK goverment if another single Meastro is scrapped - I'm affraid you are going to have to keep it and more to the point use it caus the EU are also threating the Goverment with harsh penalities if Maestro's are not seen on UK roads more frequantly!! - Please make sure it is kept clean and polished so that all it's lovely 'beigeness' shines through and save the taxpayer another massive EU fine.

On the other hand Mr Scrappy R Us informed us that in order to fulfill the German goverments policy of we want our metal back - he has a entire empty row awaiting for the scrapping of any 70 & 80's german built prentence rubbish motors (my opinion) - please feel free to rubbish all German motors that fall into this catogory hence forth, this will hopefully shame such owners into scrappage.
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

bnicho

#100 Post by bnicho » Wed May 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Morrisand944S2man wrote: A classic car has also to be a great car in it's time to be a great car when it is old.

We need to qualify what is and is not a classic in order to preserve the worthy cars and not let the movement be devalued and lost.
I'm yet to see anyone here who shares your extremely subjective opinion, so I am baffled as to why you keep pushing it.

Your argument is far from convincing and is downright elitist.

Perhaps you should start yor own forum where only people with cars you approve of can join? I'm sure it would be very popular. :roll:
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder