Oil

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
kevin

Oil

#1 Post by kevin » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Just after general opinion here.
I am, and always have been a big believer that regular oil chages are a lot cheaper than a new engine.
My classics always get a full service in the springtime and another prior to the mot at the end of autumn, this always includes oil and filter change. they get fettled inbetween of these services as well.
I have an early mazda mk1 1.6 which is due to come out of hibernation next week. Ordered the service kit from the usual source last night (I only use origional mazda service items on this car)
I tend to buy the oil locally to save the excess postal charge.
The oil recomended is mobile 1 10w40 semi synth but with an upgrade of spec available to mobile 1 new life 0w40 fully synth.

it occurs to me that to use the fully synthetic would be a total waste due to the twice yearly oil changes, but, regardless of the cost involved, is the oil actually better?

Ta

Kev

SirTainleyBarking

Re: Oil

#2 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:26 pm

my 10p worth. If it's a high performance vehicle with a turbo that is *ahem* enjoyed within an inch of it's life, then consider it. If it's doing more gentle sedate exercise, not worth it
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

kstrutt1

#3 Post by kstrutt1 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:52 pm

As above unless you are racing it a waste of cash, the fully synthetics last longer at very high temperatures such as seen in turbos and allow service intervals to be extended but I doubt either of these are an issue for a road used mx5 with yearly oil changes.

Kevin

Toledo Man

#4 Post by Toledo Man » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:25 pm

You're right about regular oil changes. Most modern cars will be fine with a decent brand of semi-synthetic. Millers Trident 10w40 semi-synth is one I'd recommend for your MX5. I've used the stuff in my Astra and a local motor factor sells it for only £18. Well worth every penny.
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)