Wheeler Dealers TR6

Here's the place to chat about all things classic. Also includes a feedback forum where you can communicate directly with the editorial team - don't hold back, they'd love to know what they're doing right (or wrong of course!)
TerryG

Wheeler Dealers TR6

#1 Post by TerryG » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Who else wants one then?
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

zipgun

Re: Wheeler Dealers TR6

#2 Post by zipgun » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:05 pm

I went in one ,bumpy B road ...amazing .. watching the changing bonnet to scuttle panel gap :lol: :lol: Is that the so called scuttle shake ?

Oldcarnut

#3 Post by Oldcarnut » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:27 pm

I liked the way the chap that was selling it gave Mike a little taste of his own medicine." I took a leaf out of your book", after Mike mentioned that he was a bit cheeky asking 8k for the car :D .

I hope Neil was taking notes :)

DoloMIGHTY

#4 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

It was a PI wasn't it?

I am sure I saw the injection system yet Edd said (when removing the cylinderhead) he was "removing the 3 carburetors".

I find it odd that the TR6 never had hardened valve inserts as standard (or did they for the US market?) as it was such a popular car in the States (I believe I read that over 80% of all TR6s produced went to America where they had been running unleaded since the 60s)

Not sure what all that business in Wheeler Dealers was about with the coolant substitute though - was it product placement or some sort of on screen promotion?
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:49 pm

Alan, like many cars with iron heads, the TR6s destined for the States might have had induction hardened seat areas for the exhaust valves, just like the Volvo B20 engines in 140 series, P1800s and early 240s and that, in a Country where cars were pretty much disposable back then, would probably have seen the head through until the warranty was out! :D

Or maybe they came with a label near the filler cap stating that only leaded gasoline must be used? ;) Yes, California had unleaded long before we did, but they also had leaded until around 1987.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

DoloMIGHTY

#6 Post by DoloMIGHTY » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 am

Just found this image of the actual car on Discovery's site;

wot no carbs!
Alan the First Forum Glitch!

chrismanchr

#7 Post by chrismanchr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

it was a pretty good en this time ,the body looked good ,and can't believe they found a rust free tr6 ,although I'm into 80's cars and ive had a tr7 dh,944s,mr2mk1,309gti etc ,I do like the tr6 although it was probably the last real old school british sports car ,Ive never seen a woman driving one lol

I picked up on the carb comment as well ,but to be fair it was a very early injection system but I suppose they'd be called throttle bodies still though

but still even though the car looked great ,theres a different between doing a car up to get the maximum money verses effort to one of us
owning ,running and maybe some of us analy restoring a car to factory standard ,still a good episode and bubble car next week

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Ignoring the carbs / throttle bodies bit, it looks great, sounds wonderful and I WANT ONE!

Dear Santa, as i have been a really good boy this year could i please have a Triumph TR6.
Terry (Age 30)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

jb64das

#9 Post by jb64das » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 pm

My second car was a 1970 TR6 which I bought in 1982 when I was 18. Haven't times changed? An 18 year old would have no chance of insuring such a beast now!
It was an awesome car and the one I always wish I had kept. 150BHP with overdrive in 2nd 3rd & 4th gears. I fitted XJS tyres to the wire wheels which made it look mean. I sold it to buy a SD1 Rover 3500!
I see from the DVLA database that RR0 279H is still about but it says that it is now red. It was red when I bought it but I had it resprayed back to it's original saffron colour to match the under bonnet area.
The Lucas indirect fuel injection was a bit temperamental even though mine had a Bosch fuel pump fitted.
It didn't like just doing short trips and would become lumpy at which point I would have to floor it in 2nd gear, it would cough and splutter then kick out a cloud of black smoke before clearing itself and accelerating up to 60mph with the overdrive engaged. Happy days! :D

darrencambs

#10 Post by darrencambs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 pm

Only just seen this post.

I didn't watch the programme, but in answer to the question "Who wants one?"...

:D Smug Grin :D

I've already got one!

Resto thread here: http://practicallyclassics.phpbbhosts.c ... .php?t=555

Plus I was fortunate enough to get it featured in Practical Classics mag recently which was a great experience.

I can thoroughly recommend owning one of these.
Too Many Cars, Too Little Time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren-cambs/collections/

1973 Triumph TR6 CR
1971 VW Type 2 Bay Window
1997 Mazda MX5 Mk1
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Ltd
2001 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6TS Veloce