Howdy all,

We're back!
89rallye

Howdy all,

#1 Post by 89rallye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey all,

Just joined,

I have done a few resto's down the years but currently doing my biggest and hopefully best show/concours resto so lots of silly questions ahead.
Mark.

Luxobarge

Re: Howdy all,

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Welcome. Tell all! With pictures too, ideally...

Cheers! :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

89rallye

#3 Post by 89rallye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Cheers,

I'll bore you with full progress pictures later I promise :lol:

I'll give you a few of the story so far though.. Just some of my favorites,

As collected Jan 2012

Onto my home made rollers,

Approx 3 months later 8-) ,

After after 9!! horrendous months (quoted 4-6 weeks!) in the paint shop,

With a few mishaps along the way, not happy at all when I saw this :shock: :o

The paint shop had left the van outside 8 weeks with the front in bare metal

But finaly about 2 weeks ago she came home

I've still got plenty of issues with the paint which will be addressed once the vans built but it's not all bad

I'll do a proper thread/blog if anyone's interested,

Oh did I mention I started another one while this was being painted :x

1968 deluxe,

Slightly worse than the 71

But still came up looking good..

Few weeks pass and it's back on its wheels awaiting an engine, don't worry the wheels will be getting a change of colour I'm trying to build this one on a budget to be a daily/runaround

Sorry.. That's enough for now, I told you I'd bore you with photos :oops:
Mark.

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks a lot - some very good work there, looking forward to seeing more.

You must have been wild about that issue with the paint shop!! What an incredibly stupid, irresponsible and moronic thing to do?? I've have been spitting blood!

Glad it turned out OK though.

:D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Hello and welcome :)
89rallye wrote:I'll do a proper thread/blog if anyone's interested
we would certainly be interested in a restoration blog thread. It looks like you have got a couple of good projects there.
89rallye wrote:Oh did I mention I started another one while this was being painted :x
you are a glutton for punishment
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

89rallye

#6 Post by 89rallye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Thanks a lot - some very good work there, looking forward to seeing more.

You must have been wild about that issue with the paint shop!! What an incredibly stupid, irresponsible and moronic thing to do?? I've have been spitting blood!

Glad it turned out OK though.

:D
Cheers,

Tbh it was partly my own fault as I'd had the front panel in bare metal for months in my own garage (crime I know before you say it!) but I was slowly pulling the front panel straight...

I should of blasted some primer, paint or anything on it but the paint shop collected it on the Friday and where due to start it on the Monday. I didn't think it'd be left outside for 8 weeks!

I was actually going to collect it and take it off them by week 10 but they had done this to it,

So I was screwed really but once it was bare metalled I thought it would move swiftly on but alas :roll:

They came highly highly recommended, there good but certainly not as good as there ego think they are.

Anyway rant over :lol:
Mark.

89rallye

#7 Post by 89rallye » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 pm

TerryG wrote:Hello and welcome :)
89rallye wrote:I'll do a proper thread/blog if anyone's interested
we would certainly be interested in a restoration blog thread. It looks like you have got a couple of good projects there.
89rallye wrote:Oh did I mention I started another one while this was being painted :x
you are a glutton for punishment
Just a bit, I also have had this (answers on a postcard :?: ) waiting patiently for the last 8 years waiting for some tlc

Not quite a classic yet more a retro ride, so more on that in ten more years or so :lol:
Mark.

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:46 pm

I dunno, a MK2 golf certainly wouldn't be chased out of most classic shows. My brother had a MK2 GTI for years, it was a very nice car.
I'd bin the wheels and put on some factory BBS ones but that is just me.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:54 pm

:o Is that a replica or the real thing? I've only ever seen one Rallye in the metal and that was a few months ago at the huge - and getting larger every year - VW weekend that happens just along the coast from my place, at Druridge Bay Country Park by Hadston Scars.

You're doing a cracking job with the loaves, the irony of that front panel is of course that there is a faction within the VW scene that would pay good money for one that looks like that. I prefer your shiny paint approach. :thumbs:
TerryG wrote:......I'd bin the wheels and put on some factory BBS ones but that is just me.
Are the original Rallye wheels BBS?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

89rallye

#10 Post by 89rallye » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:21 am

TerryG wrote:I dunno, a MK2 golf certainly wouldn't be chased out of most classic shows. My brother had a MK2 GTI for years, it was a very nice car.
I'd bin the wheels and put on some factory BBS ones but that is just me.
I'd like to think its a little more special than a bog standard mk2 golf GTi :lol: , also BBS's are done to death I have something a little different.

JPB wrote::o Is that a replica or the real thing? I've only ever seen one Rallye in the metal and that was a few months ago at the huge - and getting larger every year - VW weekend that happens just along the coast from my place, at Druridge Bay Country Park by Hadston Scars.

You're doing a cracking job with the loaves, the irony of that front panel is of course that there is a faction within the VW scene that would pay good money for one that looks like that. I prefer your shiny paint approach. :thumbs:
TerryG wrote:......I'd bin the wheels and put on some factory BBS ones but that is just me.
Are the original Rallye wheels BBS?
Original wheels were Sebrings, which are the same as that used on the Corrado's,

It's the real deal JPB, 72,000 miles (last 8 years in a garage certainly helps!) 2 owners and I've owned her since 1999.

In the 13-14 years I've had it, shows aside I've only ever seen four Rallye's on the open road. Including one in Wales that went past like he was taking part in a group B rally!

A few more in its prime 8-)

Excuse the play station, we were all young once and it was trendy in its day.... :oops:

Supercharged 4x4, the engine was actually the reason I stripped the car as I was never happy with how tatty it looked. :?

It's was stripped down, then like with slot of stories life/women/houses etc got in the way.. Never been tempted to sell though although it's in my dad's garage and I think I'm starting to push my luck a bit!
Mark.