The forum seems slow, is it just me?

We're back!
Luxobarge

Re: The forum seems slow, is it just me?

#11 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 am

Is it really a good idea to post up all those IP addresses on a public forum? I know I wouldn't..... ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

pryantcc

#12 Post by pryantcc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 am

Luxobarge wrote:Is it really a good idea to post up all those IP addresses on a public forum? I know I wouldn't..... ;)
Hi Luxobarge,
They are public IP addresses, available to anyone on the interweb who feels so inclined. It's all the hops between my desk and the forum. Things like my home router (a private IP address which nobody can get at), the addresses of the nodes which belong to my ISP (Their problem if they don't have sufficient security), then some random routers which were used to get me over to the UK, then the forum IP address. It's all very public stuff, nothing sensative in it.

Now, if I was also publishing usernames and passwords with all of these addresses, that would certainly be cause for concern!

Luxobarge

#13 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 am

pryantcc wrote:
Luxobarge wrote:Is it really a good idea to post up all those IP addresses on a public forum? I know I wouldn't..... ;)
Hi Luxobarge,
They are public IP addresses, available to anyone on the interweb who feels so inclined. It's all the hops between my desk and the forum. Things like my home router (a private IP address which nobody can get at), the addresses of the nodes which belong to my ISP (Their problem if they don't have sufficient security), then some random routers which were used to get me over to the UK, then the forum IP address. It's all very public stuff, nothing sensative in it.

Now, if I was also publishing usernames and passwords with all of these addresses, that would certainly be cause for concern!
Oh, OK, cheers - was just concerned for security as you can imagine!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

pryantcc

#14 Post by pryantcc » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:15 pm

I'm in Spain today with work and the forum is suddenly flying along. Has anything changed, or is it the fact that I'm in Spain????

BXBXBXBX

#15 Post by BXBXBXBX » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:29 am

Hi it doesn't seem to be as slow as some and seems to be fine. XP with Virgin.
As regards cost then I would be only too pleased to contribute although I know there are difficulties involved.
Cheers.
Geoff.

admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by admin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 am

Thanks for the offers of contributions - many of the admins have suggested that i add a donate button, and i may well do that. This isn't a money making exercise (far from it!) but it would be nice to get the money i've invested in the site back and perhaps expand it a little. I've been concerned that i may run over my data allowance on my hosting site, but switching to permanent ip address would solve this - but again it's at a price.

I've also been toying with adding a wordpress blog onto the site that would be open to anyone willing to post updates about their projects from time to time, or just to add a little flavour of what they do and what owning a classic means to them. Much like we had on the old website. The beauty of a Wordpress blog would be that you could all have your individual logins and usernames so you could post whenever you felt like it - unlike the old blog set up when contributors had to email me their pictures and words (pictures that i would have to resize six times and upload into five separate folders on the server i hasten to add, which used to take up loads of time) and i had to upload on their behalf.

What do you all think of this? Anyone interested?

Neil

Aar0sc

#17 Post by Aar0sc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm definately interested in that - I liked reading the old blogs :D

I think Club Triumph's blog management is a good method - although a little cramped (and the names are occasionally hard to read). (not affiliated in anyway; I've just joined their forum)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12