Auto Silencers (Tynemouth) has closed

Know of a good garage, mechanic, sprayer, supplier in your area? Why not post their details here. Please only post if you have actually used and received good service from this person or place AS A CUSTOMER. Also if you can put the area in the title that will be helpful - when we have enough we'll separate them into Counties / Shires. Note: this is for private members' recommendations, NOT owner/proprietors to punt their businesses - these will be removed.
Talking Hoarse

Auto Silencers (Tynemouth) has closed

#1 Post by Talking Hoarse » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:20 am

Sadly I see that Auto Silencers closed a month ago. It was a car parts /accessory shop in Tynemouth (nr Newcastle upon Tyne) that had been there since 1970's or maybe earlier, and supplied to the local garage trade as well as to individuals. I think it had been run by the same family (I think the proprietor was Dave) all of that time.
I valued them as they always took the trouble to look things up - and had kept old catalogues for reference. They still had stock of lots of old car parts - and I was very lucky indeed to get a piece of long obsolete exhaust for my 1983 Datsun.

This is a service that Halfords or Eurocarparts and the like will never replace.

I guess that the (only) good news is that the rare old stock from around the extensive premises will have been bought up and hopefully will appear on Ebay etc in coming months.
Long live such shops - I guess that they are really struggling at the moment - so let this be a lesson to us all now to use them as much as possible (else lose them like Auto Silencers and many others).
Ed

JPB

Re: Auto Silencers (Tynemouth) has closed

#2 Post by JPB » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:38 pm

:cry: They never batted an eyelid when I had them make sets of brake pipes with a mixture of imperial and metric unions for the Dolomites or kittens with Ford PDWAs, they managed to find me a full exhaust for the Volvo 142S even though even Volvo themselves (Minories, 'nuff said...) claimed that it was different from the four door version and unobtainable.

Best of all, they stayed open longer than planned on Good Friday, 2001, so that I - and my friends who'd been delayed coming through from Glasgow - could pick through their selection of suitable hub bearings for the trailer belonging to the hovercraft [the Glasgow crew] had come to liberate from the back yard at a flat up in the Sluice.
They also supplied plugs for both of the hovercraft's engines, the lift motor a simple 250 taken from a wet dream, the propulsion motor a Daimler V8.

No, service like that - combined with an unquestioning ability to provide things without registration numbers or a second mortgage - is sadly long dead now.

I can't speak for the vast bulk of their spares but I did grab most, if not quite all of the Moprod MPK xxx brake adjuster kits for everything from the mini/kitten front ones to the radial ones that fit inside the sliding rear cylinders of Dollies and MK2 Cortinas.
I couldn't possibly speculate on who ended up with the rest of their incredible stash of bits but let us just say that I'd not be too shocked to see more listings for classic stuff on Alnwick Cranes & Plant's eBay shop this coming year. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

incartunes

Re: Auto Silencers (Tynemouth) has closed

#3 Post by incartunes » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:25 pm

It Is sad to see them go, i used to use them alot years ago and if we couldnt get the parts etc used to send the customers there.
they closed due to one of the partners dying quite suddenly, it was a fairly close nit family run business and they didnt feel right continueing after the loss.
as for the stock, we have heard many things, most of the more recent and accessories items we have been told were bought up by av taylor, as for the more classic items im not so sure. we have tried to get in touch a couple of times but to no avail, hopefully when we do, we will at least manage to gain a few extra parts contacts for some of the not so common items.
David