Restoring bumper back to black on 1996 Audi cabriolet

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
lozfuller

Restoring bumper back to black on 1996 Audi cabriolet

#1 Post by lozfuller » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:32 pm

Hi - my first post since joining the forums, so hope it's relevant for this section!

Although I've noted the specific make/model of my car, I think this is common to a lot of cars! I've attached an image of the bumper showing areas where the bumper has completely faded. What I'm not sure about is whether a previous owner has tried to restore these to black and that has now peeled off or whether this is the original black which is still showing.

So the question is - has anyone got any ideas how to gets these back to black?! Is there a type of paint I can use to do this or is it more complicated that that?

Many thanks in anticipation!
Attachments
IMG_20240227_123559.jpg
IMG_20240227_123559.jpg (235.58 KiB) Viewed 605 times

Dick

Re: Restoring bumper back to black on 1996 Audi cabriolet

#2 Post by Dick » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:53 am

Hiya mate, rub it down properly to gey a decent key/finish. have a word with your local paint supplier. Ask if he can do the paint in rattle cans..
Post some photos when it's done..

lozfuller

#3 Post by lozfuller » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:37 pm

Thanks Dick. Someone has suggested Wurth Satin Black for the paint. Is that a decent shout?

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 pm

lozfuller wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:37 pm
Thanks Dick. Someone has suggested Wurth Satin Black for the paint. Is that a decent shout?
Yes, probably. But assuming the bumper is plastic, it's well worth getting a proper primer suitable for plastic and applying that first. Also, as with so many things in life, preparation is paramount - I'd rub it down painstakingly carefully with wet and dry (used wet) and carefully mask off of course.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.