1981 Opel Ascona B

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
igotthepoison

1981 Opel Ascona B

#1 Post by igotthepoison » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi, This is my Opel Ascona B, a brief history, i bought the car about a year ago after condemning my chevette to the parts bin due to terminal rot.. was really looking for a mk1 cav to drop the good old redtop into but this came up for sale not too far from me,as all the hard work was done it looked ideal, so i popped along one Sunday morning and spent a good few hours with the owner looking and chatting about the car, after a long road test the deal was done, i was the new owner returning the next day with a fist full of cash, although it was ready to drive away it had some issues, the worst being the intoxicating smell of fuel which after the replacement of the fuel lines was sorted, the exhaust was knocking like a good un and again was fixed with some bmw exhaust rubbers..

The car was built 5 or 6 years ago and really needs a strip and rebuild but i enjoy driving it too much to take it off the road.

It was built with track days in mind, so i have kept up this idea and have enjoyed a few track days in it myself where it performed really well and is fun and exiting to drive flat out round the race track.

So onto the good bits,, it is fitted with the bulletproof redtop engine with a powercap and sbd exhaust manifold mated to a jetex custom made exhaust, manta 5 speed gearbox, the rear axle is manta gte with the 3.7 diff ratio, suspension has been polybushed through out and fitted with lowered springs and bilstien sport dampers, eibach anti roll bars, as you can imagine this makes the car very stiff but still gives a comfy ride on the road, the brakes have been uprated with ventora(?) vented discs and wilwood midilite calipers, I am planning a rear disc conversion using isuzu piazza rear discs but... not decided on calipers yet..!

We all like pics so lets have some..

When i got it..

After a good clean and i mean 6 hours worth of a clean..!

Some recent track action shots..

As the keen eyed will notice it has had a few wheel changes, so my latest wheel choice awaiting a paint and fitment..

I love this car it is the most practical classic i have ever owned (and there's been a few..!) jump in and enjoy any day i choose..!

Diesel Fionn

Re: 1981 Opel Ascona B

#2 Post by Diesel Fionn » Sun May 01, 2011 6:11 pm

I love those old Opel Ascona's i'd have one myself anyday. The Rekord of the same vintage is of particular sentimental value to me as my Da had one and I did a lot of driving in it. Good luck with your rolling restoration. :)