Arceyes Stuff.....

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Re: Arceyes Stuff.....

#11 Post by arceye » Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:36 am

Cheers Rich :D

Anyway, life, lockdowns and all manner of troubles saw the bike stuck in Caithness until spring of 2021 when it finally arrived outside our house on a trailer with my Son, his fiancee and our first Grandchild attached..

So I pulled it apart

At least there isn't much to it so that simplified things, I don't really have photos of all the scraping, sanding and grinding that followed, its safe to say I should have just sent everything for blasting but wheres the fun in that.

I do have a few photos of it going back together which I'll post soon.

arceye

#12 Post by arceye » Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:09 pm

Soooo..... lots of scraping and sanding later I started painting and reassembling, lots of new bolts of the correct size and pitch were used, paint was a coach enamel which even though brushed went on really nice, on the downside I'm going to have to attend to some areas again when my next project is done due to some micro bubbling problems that have arisen.
I'm putting the paint problem down to an industrial rust converter primer as its only happened on the areas I used that, its still not bad though so I'm living with it for time being.

Piccies ...

In the background is another small project I had, a 1978 Yamaha IT175, American import with only a few miles on the clock and even the original DID stickers on the wheel rims, sadly it had to go to help fund a car for the missus :( There is also a Z1000 hiding in the background but sadly that was just a bike I helped flee the wild Far North for sunnier climes in Kent..

Imagepic sharing

New fork gaiters were found, luckily they are the same as on early BSA Bantams so easily sourced.
All bearings were changed, the front hub uses cup and cones with loose balls like a bicycle, at some point someone must have had a couple escape past the cup as I found them in the hub along with some interesting scoring of the wheel spindle, they must have been there a long time for sure.

And then she was almost back together, fortunately the wheels were never chrome and had an "Argentized" finish which is close to to wheel silver so that simplified things, the handlebars were very crusty and having integral mounting lugs presented more of a challenge, so Bantam bars and some cheap bar risers sorted that quite sympathetically.

A set of moped tyres from Germany was the cheapest way to give her new boots that look of the era, and then she was back on her feet and looking more like a motorbike again, I'd even sourced an engine and carb by now.

More soonish :)

Luxobarge

#13 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:57 pm

Loving this, thanks. How/where did you source the engine?
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#14 Post by Dick » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:35 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:57 pm
Loving this, thanks. How/where did you source the engine?
Me too!

arceye

#15 Post by arceye » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:05 pm

Cheers Chaps, just a quick line today cos I'm struggling to find time at the mo but........

I sourced the engine while waiting for the bike to get down to me, its an ebay special and actually cost a little more than the bike but thats the way of these things. Its surprising though that its easier and cheaper to find engines / and their parts in general for these little villiers powered machines than it is for some of the 70's Jap stuff.
Anyway, Its a Villiers 1F engine, the 1F being a 2 speed cable change motor with kickstart, oddly Villiers made a 2F aswell which was single speed with no kickstart for autocycles.

It is a bit of a cheat because mine being a 1 year only model bike that filled a gap (with the addition of plunger suspension and different front forks) between the old ridgid comet and the 1956 on "modern" looking comet it was originally fitted with a more modern looking but almost the same under the skin 4F, which are harder to find. The 1F as used in the ridgid comet slots straight in and the bike being essentially just a slightly updated version of the ridgid it still looks correct.

The engine was stripped and checked and being not too bad overall I just changed the clutch corks, purloined the correct (but jetted for a different premix) carb from a Seagull outboard motor and was almost good to go with it. You can get away with just adjusting the carb needle height to get a premix suited to the bike so no problems there.

The one problem I had was that the engine was missing its clutch pushrod which wasn't much of a problem, but also its sprocket cover which is also the engines "clutch bridge" where the clutch arm / actuator lives.

Turns out that almost everyone whoever took one of these engine out and didn't reuse it must have lost that small but essential casting because they basically don't ever come up even though engines do, and most engines that come up are missing the part too.

Anyhow, as luck would have it a pal up north turned up a slightly earlier comet frame and the remains of an engine, it was absolutely knackered and in bits but had the ultra rare clutch bridge, pushrod and the kickstarter which I needed. Problem solved for 15 quid and I now had all the parts I needed to complete the engine :D The Clutch bridge does have a chunk missing from an old chain breakage disaster but its solid enough and will do the job until maybe one day this impossible to find part turns up without damage.

Only today someone on a facebook page offered up 3 1F engines for just 75 notes each, typically all 3 were missing the clutch bridge which seems to be typical.

Heyo, more once I get a chance and hopefully a couple more photos too :D

Dick

#16 Post by Dick » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:29 pm

I once owned a go cart with the Villiers 250.. I had the engine fixed but never got it running.. I think it ended up in the scrapyard :oops:

arceye

#17 Post by arceye » Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:41 pm

Naughty Rich... scrapping a vintage cart and engine lol, prob be worth something these days.

So, where was I .. engine and a carb sorted, wheels on etc and she was looking more like a real bike again. I made up a wiring loom which to be fair is little more than 4 wires or so, got to love simplicity, originally the bike would have had direct lighting without a battery, a bulb horn, and nothing else. As I need to retrofit a brake light that won't work, so I wired it via a solid state rectifier to a 6v battery which allows for an electric horn too.

A nice new exhaust was obtained, crazy how I can buy one for something so obscure but no chance at all for my late 70's / early 80's Yam project, the saddle was covered in vinyl, which left me needing a headlight. Originally these had a Villiers headlight, they rarely come up and tend be very rough, incomplete and overpriced, thankfully them clever Indians make lots of stuff, and although not strictly correct a Lucas replica of the right diameter was sourced brand new for just 60 notes, perfect fit and unless you are a rivet counter I don't think you'd give it a second glance :D

Back together then and complete for the first time in many years, I'm sure there was other stuff I haven't mentioned such as new old stock brake cable, repro gear change cable etc, but just the general stuff you'd expect.

Not too bad for a budget project anyway in my opinion, she will never be worth a lot so very easy to overspend, hell if I ever sell it I may even break even :lol: :scared:

At this stage we have the last problem to overcome before she can see the road again, having been laid up in the 60's she had obviously fallen off the system long ago so needed to be registered with the DVLA. County Council records existed which I'd already got, a dating letter and reccomendation that the bike was appropriate to keep its original registration, and a form V765 to re-register under an original Reg Number were sent to the DVLA and a couple of weeks later they granted the applicaton and provided a log book.
It's nice to keep it on the reg it should have rather than an age related number so that was another win.

A sympathetic repaint of the front number plate was done, the rear was in a bad state so that just got a quick painted number of about the correct size, and thats about it, it occasionally buzzes somewhat deaffeningly round the local roads and up the prom which is a giggle, and always starts a conversation or two when I stop for a smoke and a look at the sea.

And I think thats about it, its really just general maintenance now and I'll probably revisit some of the paintwork on the tinware at some point, but to be fair the few issues with that give her more authenticity so I'm not in any rush.

When I get chance I'll tell a bit about my current current project if theres any interest?

Luxobarge

#18 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:17 pm

Fantastic stuff, sounds like a lot of fun doing that - there's something about doing bikes that's extra rewarding I think - maybe because compared to a car they're quick to do, and a lot less rust?

Looks fab in the photo on the prom - well, in all the photos, but especially that one. Loving the front luggage carrier thingy.

Yes, definitely interest in hearing about the Yam from me, I'm sure others too.

Thanks mate, and well done, really enjoyed that. :D :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Dick

#19 Post by Dick » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:49 pm

Great stuff. I'll be following the yamaha rebuild too.. ive developed an unhealthy interest in bikes since watching the motorbike show :thumbs: