'Tank' A 'Rolling Resto' Bloggy (of sorts)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: 'Tank' A 'Rolling Resto' Bloggy (of sorts)

#51 Post by JPB » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm

How about repairing the fan motor you already have? There's clearly nothing wrong [with the motor itself] or it wouldn't run flat out, so that means that the trouble must be with the rheostat, quite a common thing and possibly it can be rewound, worst case scenario; get the bits from an electrical parts factor such as Farnell, CPC or their French equivalent.

Failing that, dealers still carry 240 stuff (they still carry 140 stuff for that matter) and will happily relieve you of much cash for the new, o/e part.
Euro Car Parts or GSF certainly did these bits in 2007, perhaps they still do? Either would - ironically - be willing to export.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Paul240480

#52 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am

^^ Maybe a crossed wire there. I received my new fan yesterday, it is the heater matrix that is no longer available (save for having one made or recon'd).

So having spoken to various folks in the trade, the matrix's do last so long as anti-freeze has been used. Mine is not leaking, but was going 'belts & braces' mode. Last call was my mobile mec' who popped by for a brew, he agrees and reckons he's never had to replace a 240 matrix, or fan............ then he's prob' not worked on many :lol:

Anyhoo, I have flushed the old and virtually nothing came out except for 'fresh' water.

It IS going back in folks!

Paul240480

#53 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 am

So, the 'rebuild' was yesterday:
Fan in its box with the old matrix and wiggled into place.
.....and all back together with a toasty warm heater and 'quiet' fan blower.

Contortionism is a must for this type of work & today I am as stiff as a camel jockeys crotch!! :lol:

.............cambelt & auxiliary belts next........ oh and poss replace the alt' (noisy bearing) with another I 'blagged'

Mike Whiskey

#54 Post by Mike Whiskey » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 am

Did you fix the dash lighting whilst it was all apart? :D

Paul240480

#55 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Mike Whiskey wrote:Did you fix the dash lighting whilst it was all apart? :D
Well, you are right in that it would have made sense...................... but erm :oops: no I didn't. Sort of got to the point of losing the will to do more than just getting it back together in between pulling hair out............. :lol: :lol:

Paul240480

#56 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 am

& next was onto the timing belt & auxilliary belts. 4 years or 48,000 miles is the norm. Tank had done a mere 25k but months were up to 54 for the cam and about 60 for the three aux jobbies, as I did those with the water pump.

Volvo belts all round this time, last was a Volvo timing belt & Contitech for the aux's.

I also fitted that 'spare' alternator that had been in the boot for about a year. The original one had a noisy bearing. I checked the regulator brushes on the 'new' and they were the Bosch OE ones. But were very well worn down. I swopped them as I had some new ones fitted in Poitiers when Tank conked out on me. Still a lot left on them, HUCO made in germany it is.

The good news was that my 'cheap-ish' 24v Rolson impact driver was just strong enough to remove the 'dreaded' lower crank bolt, and I mean just it took quite a few go's before it gave in.

I set the two 'matched' aux belts so all the writing was lined up :roll: , but when I started up (after spinning by hand plugs out) one of them slipped so had to re-tighten the alt' to get it right & now they are out of alignment DOH :lol: .

Still, main thing is that the jobs a gooden........ :D

Luxobarge

#57 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

I did a cam belt on one of those a while back - nice and easy, aren't they?

Good stuff mate. :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#58 Post by Paul240480 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Luxobarge wrote:I did a cam belt on one of those a while back - nice and easy, aren't they?

Good stuff mate. :D
I haven't done many belts to be honest.... 480 was my first 'on me todd'....... 850 20v next and then this (having done it before with a learned friend). In comparison, yes the 240 is nice and easy...... the hardest part is that lower crank bolt. How did you do 'yours'?

Luxobarge

#59 Post by Luxobarge » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:33 pm

Paul240480 wrote: the hardest part is that lower crank bolt. How did you do 'yours'?
To be honest I can't remember, I always try and do it by not removing the crank pulley if I can, but as I say it was a long time ago and I can't remember, sorry!

My VOC forum blog has pics and description of how to do the one on my V70 T5, which will be much the same as an 850 if you have a look - I can post the link if you need. There's also a VERY good "how to" on the VOC forum, which I found useful.

Cheers!
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#60 Post by Paul240480 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:04 am

Okay thanks and no worries. That pulley needs to be removed and there are various ways, I just wondered.... yes have seen your cambelt work over on VOC. I have done the one on my 850, followed I think, Jods how too.

So yesterday I finally had a go at fitting the LED strip lights. Only to the centre console, so far.
I removed the shroud for the switches & stuck a strip here:

Then soldered the wires into one of the original bulb connections:
Yes they work.......... & they dim/brighten on the rheostat :mrgreen:

Finally a shot in the dark:
Not convinced I have them in the best place, as they do not seem to reach the heater controls lower down fully.............. Need to have another look in 'pitch dark' before I decide. Got plenty left on the strip should I need to add another few though :D