'Tank' A 'Rolling Resto' Bloggy (of sorts)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Luxobarge

Re: 'Tank' A 'Rolling Resto' Bloggy (of sorts)

#21 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Paul240480 wrote:That said, maybe I should add another thread about Zeb' 850 :?:
Mmm - bit new? That's why I haven't blogged mine on here. You and I would enjoy it, but it's really not a classic is it? ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#22 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
Paul240480 wrote:That said, maybe I should add another thread about Zeb' 850 :?:
Mmm - bit new? That's why I haven't blogged mine on here. You and I would enjoy it, but it's really not a classic is it? ;)
True, that was niggling in the back of my mind & has held me back from me adding a 'Zeb thread'........... I think you have answered that niggle 'nail on head' :D

Aar0sc

#23 Post by Aar0sc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I'd like it too :P

Thinking about it, that may come across as slightly odd sounding :/
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

TerryG

#24 Post by TerryG » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

There is a 1990 Eunos Roadster and 1991 Saab aero, 1991 3 Series BMW and a "futures market" section in the mag. If you wanted to post a blog on your 850 then go for it, people don't have to read it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Paul240480

#25 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:38 am

This just had to be done :D Pic taken this morning....
Oh er, think a duster is required too :oops:

TerryG

#26 Post by TerryG » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:44 am

Only 51,000 miles to go before you have finished running it in then.
You should reset the trip counter so get 199,999 and 999.9 showing at the same time.
I have a pic somewhere of my focus with 66,666 and 666.6 on it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Paul240480

#27 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:07 pm

TerryG wrote:Only 51,000 miles to go before you have finished running it in then.
You should reset the trip counter so get 199,999 and 999.9 showing at the same time.
I have a pic somewhere of my focus with 66,666 and 666.6 on it.
That would be good, I was thinking of tripping it so it'd read 200,000 & the trip 240 :D I bound to forget though :roll:

Paul240480

#28 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:36 pm

As I now had those parts ready to fit, I phoned 'Steve the mec' & made an appointment. Steve wanted to hold the car for about a week, as he was going to do the work during the evenings, due to his now up & running mobile work. So I asked my mate Malcolm if he'd follow me up & bring me back. This was sorted & Steve not wishing to miss out on a chance, offered to give Malcolm's car one of his 'going overs'. Malcolm has a very nice 1996 Volvo 850 TDI (Audi engine). The follwing week Malcolm & I met up & made our way to Steve's. Once there Steve went under, over, in & took Malcolms car for a short spin. He diagnosed that it needed new wipers :lol: Malcolm was happy! He uses a mechanic local to him, & it appears that he is getting good service.
A week later, Malcolm & I returned. All the mechanical work had been completed, shocks, springs & bushes with no problems. The old fella that did the welding had an issue with his equipment, & the best he could do was to spot weld a plate over that biggest hole in the inner floor before it all conked out :cry: He did apologise & made no charge.
Steve had, obviously done the waxoyl stuff after the welder had tried. He squirted loads of the stuff into the void where the holes were & then emptied two tubs of the stuff onto the underside.
The return drive was fab', Tank had been transformed, no more wallowing ( well wallowyness (fab word :D ) was back to 'as new' it is a Volvo 240 after all :lol: ), no more clonking over pot holes & no more graunching. I was happy 8-) .
Once home I decided to fill the remaining holes & in between the spot welds on the plate. I used some more of the Pattex 'chemical metal' & once that had set, two coats of Hammerite were applied. This is how it finished:
Not a professional 'repair' maybe, but I'm sure it'll be good for a couple of years......

Paul240480

#29 Post by Paul240480 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:29 am

Next on the list was to replace the fuel filter. I had no record of it ever having been done, but guess that it had been replaced at some stage. The one fitted was a Bosch & the replacement was a MANN from GSF.
The old ready for removal:
& the new securely in place:
I love the location of the filters on these models, no scrabbling about under the car with manky rusted seized bolts ( like the one I have ready to fit to to Zeb :roll: ).
The Contrôle Technique was looming. I had a good check around Tank & the only thing I found 'in need' was that both of the rubber ring exhaust pipe centre mounts had gone awol. A common matter. I ordered a couple of these & stretched them into place.
Into the CT & about an hour later I had the result, a smiling chappy saying, "C'est bon pour vous monsieur". Tank had passed, with only a couple of minor advisories - drivers door mirror failing, the chassis number in the a-post had deteriorated, rear brakes were 'uneven' (but not enough to fail) & something about the handbrake lever not working correctly. I've not yet worked that last one out, seems as normal as it has ever been to me :lol:
In Jan 11 Tank suffered a failed rear wheel bearing:
Quite a spectacular fail :roll: Very noisy too, as you can imagine. I won't go into the whole saga, as it is well documented here: http://www.practicallyclassics.co.uk/vi ... p?f=8&t=14
To cut a long story short, I went to a scrap yard & removed a 1/2 shaft complete with a bearing. Then regreased it & fitted that to Tank. :D
Shortly after this Tank suffered a melted fuel pump fuse. This particular fuse is a another common weak point if not regularly cleaned. Volvo OE ceramic fuses are the way to go. Well, I'd fitted aftermarket plastic bodied ones...........I now have ceramic ones, nuff said! :lol:
More recently, another oil change has been carried out & another clean out of the PCV system to keep him breathing well 8-) along with a rotor/dizzy clean-up/check & spark plug check.
This brings us right up to date with Tank's life. Future plans are to replace the in tank fuel pump as Tank currently relies on only the main one to keep him fed. The new one is OE & will be fitted in July, when Simon comes over again. I've seen a nifty trick to remove the fuel tank cover plate using a two-legged puller that I intend to try....
I shall keep this going, but from now on post's will be on an 'as & when something needs doing or has happened' basis. :D

JPB

#30 Post by JPB » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Door mirror failing? What a bizarre thing. Almost as strange as the advisory my 340 vario picked up every year for its last few MOTs:
Horn emits a slightly poor tone.
Are these guys MOT/CT testers or art & music critics ffs? :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: