'Tank' A 'Rolling Resto' Bloggy (of sorts)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Aar0sc

Re: 'Tank' A 'Rolling Resto' Bloggy (of sorts)

#11 Post by Aar0sc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:14 pm

I see it has the Pegasus Alloys - ours had them.

In fact, I think I'm suffering withdrawal symptons - I've been without a Volvo for almost a month now! :cry:
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

Paul240480

#12 Post by Paul240480 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Aar0sc wrote:I see it has the Pegasus Alloys - ours had them.

In fact, I think I'm suffering withdrawal symptons - I've been without a Volvo for almost a month now! :cry:
Tank has 14" Corona's (originally from early GLE 200's maybe pre 'virgo 15" wheeled' GLT's too) & Zeb has 16" Columba's (originally standard on T5's) IIRC Pegasus come in 17", 18" & 19" & are standard on T5r models & later S60, S80 variants.

Aar0sc

#13 Post by Aar0sc » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:57 pm

It looks like they were 16" Perfos, on a 2000/W V70 Classic 2.5 144HP.
Curently we've got a 2009/09 V70 SE D5 - great car (and an AMAZING engine!) but doesn't have the 'labradour' affecttion of the old one - and it's out of action atm after dad crashed it in the snow :( :cry:
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

Paul240480

#14 Post by Paul240480 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:17 am

Aar0sc wrote:It looks like they were 16" Perfos, on a 2000/W V70 Classic 2.5 144HP.
Curently we've got a 2009/09 V70 SE D5 - great car (and an AMAZING engine!) but doesn't have the 'labradour' affecttion of the old one - and it's out of action atm after dad crashed it in the snow :( :cry:
That would make sense, I think Perfos were very similar Columbas, IIRC that is :) I hope your V70 is soon rolling again :D

Paul240480

#15 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:34 pm

During the next few months, Tank developed a leak. For some reason, I put my hand under the floor tray in the rear passenger footwell & found the carpet sodden. No obvious point of ingress. I decided to remove the interior completely, it needed to dry out in any case. So the whole lot came out & I refitted the drivers seat & seat belt fixing. Now I had to wait for rain & see where the water entered. After a few days I found a trickle coming through the grommit which is supposed to form a seal where the bonnet release cable enters the cabin. You can just make out the trickle in this pic:
The trickle did indeed make its way to the rear footwell.
A squidge of auto-silicone was administered & I carried on driving Tank stripped until the next downpour. He stayed dry, so I moved onto refitting. Whilst fitting the rear carpet where it meets the boot floor. I decided to lift the boot floor in order to neatly tuck the carpet in. To my horror I found:
Nearside.
Offside.
Pics taken after a clean up with a wire brush.
This looked a bit 'grim' to me. Apparently it is a common point of rust on 240 models & if caught early enough is not terminal..................
I gave each rust point a liberal coating of rust-killer (Kurust) & decided I needed to find myself a welder!
My 'dry Volvo' soon became a wet one again :evil: This time it was the front passenger footwell. It appeared to be entering through the windscreen seal. As I'd had a screen fitted fairly recently I took it back & asked the chap to check it. He gave me courtesy car & said he'd call. Two days later he phoned to say it was sorted. When I returned he proudly announced that it was not the screen. After he'd played water onto it, he found that all of the drain channels were blocked with leaves & crud, so the area was filling up & leaking through the wiper spindles. He'd removed the wiper motor & cleaned everything up, cleared the channels of crud & off we went, only I found that the wipers now would not 'park'..................

Paul240480

#16 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Back at the windscreen fitters :roll: he admitted he was not an auto electrician. Between us we failed to get them to park. Not being particularly electrically minded myself the 'easy option' was to replace the motor. No point it going to the yard, as LHD cars have a different set-up. It just happened that my brother was attending a Volvo club show (he had a short affair with a Volvo 480 Celebration, but that's history now) which had an autojumble on site. He found one for £15 & passed it onto a forum mate who was coming over for his hols'. So dry once again & soon to have 'parking wipers' once more.
Having asked around about welding those holes up, by chance I learned of a self-employed mechanic who came highly recommended. An English chap, who had set up here. On speaking to him, his background was in Mercedes maindealers, before going it alone. I explained about the holes & he asked about the age of 'Tank', at that time he was 21. Steve said, "Mmm on a car of that age a bit of rust has a habit of being more serious than it looks if it is I'll tell you".
A few weeks later, I set off on the 65 or so miles to Steves workshop. On arrival he'd just finished a job & said, "righto I've got an hour before my next job is due so lets give this thing the once over". He'd arranged for his welder to come over too. I'd stripped out the internal trim before leaving home. Steve checked the rust & confirmed that it was the internal floor only that was affected & that the underside of the car was solid. Welder turned up & said he could sort the holes easily enough. Steve found a few issues:
One front brake flexi was 'bulging'. Something I'd missed :oops:
Clutch slave was leaking.
Front bushes were worn.
Of course, he could do the front shocks & springs :D
He was also happy for me to supply the bits & offered a full blast off of the underside & waxoyl type treatment for the cost of 1hrs labour :D
After he'd finished, he said, "This is good I've not seen one for many years close up this would be good for my mobile business that I'm setting up if you want to sell" I declined! ;)

Paul240480

#17 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:09 pm

The drive home was uneventful, depsite learning of that swollen brake hose. Once home I decided not to drive him again until it was replaced. I had already replaced one on the off-side during replacing that sides strut. That was via GSF. I decided, this time I needed one more urgently. So I phoned Ouest-Injection who said they could have one in the following morning, I ordered it. Next morning I collected (in Zeb' the 850). 28€ :roll: for one flexi-hose! It was an MGA make, not a company I've heard of. Anyway it was fitted & I bled the system once more. I then ordered the remaining 4 hoses from FRF Volvo in Wales!

Shortly after this I read on the volvo forum of a chap who'd found that his 240 had rusted quite badly where the 'lower' body joins the 'upper' body in front of the rear bumper. Quite a few others joined in mentioning that this was a common rust point. Some pics where added & made grusome viewing!

I decided that I'd better have a look a mine This is what I found:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Having seen pics or the others, I was pleasantly surprised by how 'good' mine was. Over the next few days & wire-brushed all the loose stuff away. Gave it a coat of Kurust, filled a few small holes with fibre resin (orrible stuff that is too I decided on my first go) & finished it with 2 coats of Hammerite red. Not an exact match by any means, but as it is hidden away behind the bumper, it matters not.

I was quite pleased with my efforts:

Paul240480

#18 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:59 pm

So next on the list was to fit those remaining 4 brakes hoses, as mentioned these were Volvo ones, so now I have 4 of those, one GSF & that MGA one. Once again I did a full bleed, so I must have one of the most flushed through brake systems going by now :lol:
I bought a clutch slave cylinder from Brookhouse Volvo parts, no idea what make it was. That was fitted with a new cir-clip & I was able to try my gunsons bleeder out on the clutch system :D
By now we are upto July 2010, Simon (a fellow VOC forumist) arrived with his family for a visit & with him he kindly bought over the front springs, bushes, shocks, a set of engine mounts & a second hand viscous (cooling) fan. These fans give the 'famous' 'Volvo roar' & I was missing mine! The good thing about the system is that the fans fans continue to cool the engine even if they lose the 'viscous factor'. Instead of cutting in & out, they just continue to spin when they fail.
The fan was fitted & Tank had his roar restored 8-) .
Simon & I replaced the engine mounts together. Not too bad a job. Only error during was that I jacked the engine up a little to high & it nudged the clutch fluid reservoir so much that the fluid began to run out. Poor old Simon who was enjoying himself tinkering underneath got a face full :lol: Luckily no damge, it just needed re-sighting & a quick top of fluid.

Luxobarge

#19 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Good stuff this Paul, enjoying it. Fun blogging about 'yer Volvo isn't it? ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

Paul240480

#20 Post by Paul240480 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:32 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Good stuff this Paul, enjoying it. Fun blogging about 'yer Volvo isn't it? ;)
Indeedy Sir! Getting close to being upto date............ though have just today ordered some long needed bits for Tank, so will be able to keep blogging although at a slower rate!

That said, maybe I should add another thread about Zeb' 850 :?: